518HockeyFan

Albany Devils fans are the worst in the league

I apologize for saying that ALL Albany Devils fans suck because its not true just the ones who sat in front of me in section 105 rows F,G, and H. I don't want anyone to think I hate Albany hockey I'm actually a fan and hope the franchise survives theirs for years to come. I brought my mom to that game and she hadn't been since the heydays of the River Rats and couldn't believe how quiet it has gotten there and she's 70. Without trying to sound like a hater it's impossible to not notice that their is a big problem with fan support. Fact is average attendance there is about 1/3 what it used to be 15-20 years ago. River Rat games used to be events it wasn't uncommon to have 10,000 plus fans at a weekend game and 6,000 during the week. Hell they used to close down Pearl St. and have block parties and concerts before the games weather permitting. I walked from East Greenbush to Albany across a busy highway to go to the championship celebration because my parents were working and couldn't bring me because of work. If you don't think that's dedication consider I was a member of the Chop Stix. So in conclusion I don't want people to think I'm a hater just bashing to be cool I'm a frustrated fan who is disgusted to see what AHL hockey has become from what it was.

It's all good.  I get it, you were upset and you were venting.  And I apologize for the first part of my response; as you can imagine, a post calling out Albany fans isn't going to sit well with an Albany fan.

I don't know if you read the Times Union's hockey blog, but everyone there laments the good old days.  Trust me, you're not alone.

Yeah, the days when it was just Eagles fans giving the rest of the city a bad name are long gone.  Flyers fans have had a bad reputation for years, and it's spreading to the Sixers and Phillies fan bases.  I remember that Phantoms fans weren't as bad as the parent club, mainly because their games were more family-oriented, but they had a reputation of their own to deal with.  The Spectrum in its Phantoms days was a massive day-care center, what with the kids running around everywhere and the Spongebob Squarepants theme song playing all the time.

Yeah, the days when it was just Eagles fans giving the rest of the city a bad name are long gone.  Flyers fans have had a bad reputation for years, and it's spreading to the Sixers and Phillies fan bases.  I remember that Phantoms fans weren't as bad as the parent club, mainly because their games were more family-oriented, but they had a reputation of their own to deal with.  The Spectrum in its Phantoms days was a massive day-care center, what with the kids running around everywhere and the Spongebob Squarepants theme song playing all the time.

Rowdy:  Those were the later years, and even during the SBSP days, the kids were out of control.  Many kids roamed free of parental protection (which earned it the sarcastic nickname "Southeastern Pennsylvania Alternative Babysitting Emporium"), and those that did were in many cases encouraged to yell vile stuff at visiting fans.  In the first 5 years of the Phantoms existence, the adults were much worse.  I know a lot of Bears fans who wouldn't wear their colors in Philly for fear of verbal (and worse) attacks, and I heard stuff in Philly that reminded me a lot of Madison Square Garden during the Islander games in the early years of that rivalry. 

Wierd fact:  I went to a number of Phantoms games when they played other teams in the early years, and the fans almost didn't seem to care as much.  Even Frank Bialowas said during numerous interviews that Barber and Co. had told him in effect "do what you want vs. everyone else; when you see Hershey, take no prisoners."  God, I miss those early days.  :D 

There are really two types of fans in sports; fans of the game in general that root for a specific team, and fans of a team that don't have much interest in the game. I'm going to pick on Rumbick here for a moment (most because he's the last guy to post since I started to write this :bleh: ), but like a lot of folks here he falls into the category of "fan of the game in general that roots for a specific team". Those are the kind of people that, home or away, you can have a great conversation about the game (meaning that specific game, or the league, or other teams, etc) no matter what jersey they're wearing. Those are the kind of fans that when their team's opponent does something really well (like a nice goal, save, hit, whatever) they truly appreciate it because they're fans of the game too. Sure they might get a little annoyed it happened :lol: , but it's about wanting your team to win while still knowing it's a little bit about the game.

And we all know the other kind of fan...you know, the guy whose team is losing 4-1 and saying your team sucks and is just blindly rooting for the jersey with no appreciation for the game at all. I'll save the vortex by not naming names here ;)

Edited by 210

Nothing regarding 518HockeyFan's post, its a hockey game, not a funeral home. You go to the games to cheer and get crazy and be a be loud.

To Labs, You have every right to be loud, you shouldn't be the one who has to move as you're the STH for those seats. If your next door pair had an issue of you's screaming, they should of moved. Perhaps, maybe they should stay home next time if they can't tolerate loud noises.

And this is one of the problems I've had over the past few years going to Pirates home games. It tends to be that "once or twice a season" person or couple or family. They get all excited that they scored tickets on the boards, start setting their beers or drinks down by the glass, and carry on a loud conversation with no clue or care of a game going on. They get pissy when our section cheers loudy, scream, hollar, or when I start kicking or banging the boards or glass. I've lost count at the number of locals who have shot me dirty looks when I start treating the boards in front of my seat like a large 3' drum. I've also lost count at the number of people who have left the section after a period because they got annoyed with the noise. Sorry folks, it's a hockey game and not a library. If you want quiet, go to a library then. If you sit in a section and see lots of people wearing the jersey of the home team then you should expect lots of noise. That's the reality of the situation.

These people also think it's hilarious to take verbal pot shots at traveling fans as if it's some sort of badge of honor. We're not talking your quick off-the-cuff remark, but some nasty comment that are personal (physical features or something like that). They then sit back, exchange a high five or bump their knuckles like a throwback Neanderthal, and go back to cheering players by refering to their number or last name because they have no clue about the team their watching.

Now I've said many a comment over the years to these types when I see them unnecessarily giving it to a traveling fan. A funny story, my girlfriend and her family and friends came up to Portland two years ago for a Monarchs/Pirates game. They couldn't get tickets for Section T so they sat in the double letter area at the end. Two rows back a group of college kids were sitting making comments at them all for the entire first period. It got old for them, really old but they didn't say anything back. After the first period I went over to say hi and talk and they explained what happened. I said a few things out-loud to no one in particular, knowing me it was probably very inappropriate. At the end of the game they came over to say their good-bye's and said that the college kids didn't mince another word at them the rest of the game.

Of all the road games I have been to, My kids have never had people say things to them.  They have said things to me and I really don't care I can take it and give it back.  That being said I am going Friday to Albany with the 2 kids.  One likes yelling lets go Bruins and the other one is starting to as well.  Friday is also $2 beer night for an hour before the game.  I hate that happened to you but I believe that is the exception and not the rule.

I have also had issues with Mascots, (lol) Salty Pete, Crackers (the parrot) and Sonic.

At the end of the day, I've had good experiences and bad experiences in a lot of arenas. Many of the New England fans have seen/met me with my band of hooligans (back in the day!) and while we enjoyed stirring up the occasional snark fest, things stayed pretty tame. One of the worst experiences I've had was in Bridgeport but in general, I've been there a lot and only had ONE bad incident. 

I never had a problem in Albany.

Depending on the mood --- the best/worse experience was in Providence and it had nothing to do with the fans. It was the ushers who let 4000 other people put their feet up on the seat in front of them -- but not the band of Wolf Pack fans.

I've got video of that somewhere -- Woody taunting the usher with his legs in the air.

I never had a problem in Albany.

Depending on the mood --- the best/worse experience was in Providence and it had nothing to do with the fans. It was the ushers who let 4000 other people put their feet up on the seat in front of them -- but not the band of Wolf Pack fans.

I've got video of that somewhere -- Woody taunting the usher with his legs in the air.

BWAAAHAHAHAHA I forgot about that one. Then there was the "no banner allowed" again, because it was a Wolf Pack banner, so I made the whole thing on t-shirts... You have to have that pic somewhere too!

Just an honest question here, but of all the places you named as the worst, Philly can go to hell?

Yes.

Philly can go to hell.

I've been to various sporting events in Baltimore, Washington, Philly, New York, Boston, Portland, Norfolk, Hershey, Willkes Barre, Toronot, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Florida, Atlantic City, and various smaller cities and towns. I've worn opposting jerseys in most of those places. (Full disclosure I was wearing Tigers stuff in Detroit because they were playing the Yankees. So if the home town fans were jerks the odds are good that I wasn't making it a friendlier place.)

Philly fans are BY FAR the worst. I'm talking about baseball and hockey. I've never been to an Eagles game when rooting for the other team so its' hard to judge. (I was at a 76er's game once as a disinterested non rooting 3rd party. But I was too bored to tears with being at an NBA game to care about how the fans were acting to visitors.)

It's like Philly sports fans take pride in being gigantic dicks to visitors in large numbers.

Just an honest question here, but of all the places you named as the worst, Philly can go to hell?

Yes.

Philly can go to hell.

So can all the other fanbases, right?  As I stated in an earlier post, there's dickheads in EVERY fanbase, not just Philly.  There's also much nicer fans in every fanbase, including Philly.  I've got to meet some Philadelphia Wings fans when they came to Boston to see their team take on the Boston Blazers at TD Garden at one time, and they were actually very nice, much nicer than how the media presents them.

Yes.

Philly can go to hell.

So can all the other fanbases, right?  As I stated in an earlier post, there's dickheads in EVERY fanbase, not just Philly.  There's also much nicer fans in every fanbase, including Philly.  I've got to meet some Philadelphia Wings fans when they came to Boston to see their team take on the Boston Blazers at TD Garden at one time, and they were actually very nice, much nicer than how the media presents them.

Yes there are dicks in every fan base. No one is arguing that.

But Philly has a higher concentration of them than average, thus making them the worst as a whole.

Yes there are dicks in every fan base. No one is arguing that.

But Philly has a higher concentration of them than average, thus making them the worst as a whole.

Thing is, I've got some great friends in Philly, and I have some great memories of my trips there, but Skip's right.  For sheer numbers, no other city comes close to Philly. 

One way to look at it is the "out of division" fans - division rivalries amp things up a bit, but fans from more or less anywhere can give you horror stories from the Spectrum crowds.  It's simply a matter of degree & decorum.  In most arenas, there's an age group where people actively antagonize visiting fans.  In Philly, that age group starts in the single digits, and ends roughly at retirement age.  As I've told people in other arenas when they tell me Hershey sucks:  Most fan bases say it because they think it's funny, or they think they're supposed to.  It's a ritual, like the wave or screaming when the scoreboard says to.  In Philly, you could look in their eyes and see that they actually felt the words they were saying, as if they really believed the world would be a better place if Bears fans (and likely, players) were simply eradicated.  I've seen Rangers - Islanders through every year of that rivalry; I've been to Yanks - Red Sox, Jets - Patriots (wearing green in Foxboro) and I've never seen sheer hatred like a large portion of Philly people have for us.  I know Eagles fans are likely in the Top 5 of "Least welcoming" in the NFL, and I'd bet the Flyer fans hold the same honor among NHL fans. 

That said, the only arena I've ever been in where I feared for my safety was the New Haven Coliseum during the 1989 Calder Cup Finals. The "fans" there were openly (and in some cases, physically) hostile towards visitors, and they had the backing of arena management and security. 

Yes.

Philly can go to hell.

I've been to various sporting events in Baltimore, Washington, Philly, New York, Boston, Portland, Norfolk, Hershey, Willkes Barre, Toronot, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Florida, Atlantic City, and various smaller cities and towns. I've worn opposting jerseys in most of those places. (Full disclosure I was wearing Tigers stuff in Detroit because they were playing the Yankees. So if the home town fans were jerks the odds are good that I wasn't making it a friendlier place.)

Philly fans are BY FAR the worst. I'm talking about baseball and hockey. I've never been to an Eagles game when rooting for the other team so its' hard to judge. (I was at a 76er's game once as a disinterested non rooting 3rd party. But I was too bored to tears with being at an NBA game to care about how the fans were acting to visitors.)

It's like Philly sports fans take pride in being gigantic dicks to visitors in large numbers.

Well to be honest, Skip, I don't think that's very fair for ALL of us fans to be labelled unfairly like that when it's only a few rotten apples amongst us who ruin it for you....do I like that we have them? Hell no I don't, but as others have mentioned here, you can't blame ALL of us for just a few, I'm sorry but you just can't...

EVERY team has its wackjobs, make no mistake about it, but to call US the worst of the worst is really flawed, I'm sorry. Perhaps our biggest rival in the past and will be again after we move to Allentown next fall will be Wilkes-Barre/Scranton....they amongst other league teams have some of the biggest and most childish losers I've ever seen, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna blame the classy majority for the actions of a few jagoffs, I just won't do it because it wouldn't be fair to them and they don't deserve it.  

Philly has a higher concentration of dicks than most, Skip? Not for anything, but I used to hear some horror stories about Skipjacks fans in the past, so let's not play all high and mighty, it won't work. Just curious here, but what are you gonna say when the Phantoms move to Allentown next fall and you come to a game down there? If you have one bad experience, are you gonna insult ALL of us and say WE are all bad too? Come on, get with it, Skip...that dog don't hunt. Philly fans are the worst in hockey and baseball? Baseball? I haven't been to a Phillies game in a few years, but whenever I went, I never had a problem...of course you could say 'Of course you didn't, you're a Phillies fan'..true, you COULD, but I'll have you know that there were a ton more DECENT fans than there were idiots. And if you think Flyer or Phillies fans are bad, just trust me, you DO NOT want to go to an Eagles game...we're quite tame in nature compared to those buffoons! My girlfriend is a lifelong Mets fan and when she and I go to games again together next season because we're too busy this season to go, I know she's passionate for them as I am the Phils, don't think for one second I'm gonna tolerate juvenile behavior from drunken Phillies fans towards her, I won't stand for it. I've never cared for the Mets, but again, I respect them all the same...the decent ones anyways. I know a few decent ones and despite our team differences, we get along great otherwise. We're friendly rivals, but nothing more than that...it never gets personal and I'm pretty happy to say that!  :D

If anything, I've ALWAYS thought Hershey fans were amongst the best I've ever dealt with and I'm sure that will continue next fall...I look forward to getting down to Giant Center and I look forward to them coming to PPL Center too. They were some of the classiest AND most knowledgeable fans I've ever been around. I hope you're not a Ravens fan by chance, because if you want some really classless fans, you might want to look THAT trash up because I've heard horror stories that make things that happen in Philly almost seem tame in comparison, Skip....

Instead of judging us by how we ALL are, why don't you separate the clowns from the rest of us and then, quite possibly, your image of our fans and those of other teams won't nearly be as bad as you make them out to be..just a thought... :)

Edited by LehighValleyPhantomsPhan

Rumblick, when you mentioned New Haven, were you sitting by section 14? I've heard a lot of stories about their behavior. I know I never sat there, even though I was just there to watch a game. You know I'm not one to start anything with another fan, but I still avoided that section, at all costs.

Well to be honest, Skip, I don't think that's very fair for ALL of us fans to be labelled unfairly like that when it's only a few rotten apples amongst us who ruin it for you....do I like that we have them? Hell no I don't, but as others have mentioned here, you can't blame ALL of us for just a few, I'm sorry but you just can't...

LVPP, you're not reading Skip (or me, for that matter) correctly.  Look at it like population stats - "per capita", if you will.  If you go to any arena, you'll have a chance of running into a few morons.  Even Hershey has its assholes, and Baltimore (our biggest rivals back in the day) was an adventure, but it was mostly for the games.  In Philly, there was never a doubt you were going to catch hell.  It's a given.  I sat behind the nets, on the sides, high, low, upper deck, every different location you could think of - they'd find you.  Hell, there were groups of kids and teens who roamed the concourses that I'm not certain ever watched the games; they were just dropped off by their parents or parole officers for a few hours of "release". 

Virtually any fan, from any city in the eastern Conference, when asked about his worst road experience, I can safely put Philly in the top 3.  That's not "a few" morons, jagoffs, or anything else - it is, to use a sports expression I hate, a "culture" in that city.   As I stated, I have some great friends in that fan base, but as a whole, it's not close. 

BTW, I'll give Allentown a try, & I go in with no preconceptions.  Allentown is home to a lot of ex-NY & NJ people who aren't really tuined into minor league hockey, so we'll see how it goes. 

Rumblick, when you mentioned New Haven, were you sitting by section 14? I've heard a lot of stories about their behavior. I know I never sat there, even though I was just there to watch a game. You know I'm not one to start anything with another fan, but I still avoided that section, at all costs.

We knew all about Section 14 - they were legendary.  This was "next level".  They used "Welcoime to the Jungle" as their theme song for that playoff run, and marketed T-shirts to that effect.  I was told by NH season ticket holders that Security people had come up with the idea and were behind marketing the shirts.  I know a number of Adirondack Red Wings fans who were accosted in the concourses, restooms, and parking lots, all in sight of (and with tacit encouragement of) Coliseum security.  Any requests for help were usually met with "Well, you should've stayed home".  I was actually involved in one altercation (my only one in 40+ years of hockey) and if it weren't for fans breaking it up, there would've been bloodshed, and Security did nothing to step in. 

LVPP, you're not reading Skip (or me, for that matter) correctly.  Look at it like population stats - "per capita", if you will.  If you go to any arena, you'll have a chance of running into a few morons.  Even Hershey has its assholes, and Baltimore (our biggest rivals back in the day) was an adventure, but it was mostly for the games.  In Philly, there was never a doubt you were going to catch hell.  It's a given.  I sat behind the nets, on the sides, high, low, upper deck, every different location you could think of - they'd find you.  Hell, there were groups of kids and teens who roamed the concourses that I'm not certain ever watched the games; they were just dropped off by their parents or parole officers for a few hours of "release". 

Virtually any fan, from any city in the eastern Conference, when asked about his worst road experience, I can safely put Philly in the top 3.  That's not "a few" morons, jagoffs, or anything else - it is, to use a sports expression I hate, a "culture" in that city.   As I stated, I have some great friends in that fan base, but as a whole, it's not close. 

BTW, I'll give Allentown a try, & I go in with no preconceptions.  Allentown is home to a lot of ex-NY & NJ people who aren't really tuined into minor league hockey, so we'll see how it goes. 

I gotcha, Rum...totally understand now...honestly, when I went to Hershey a few years back, I never really ran into any problems...was the most fun of the few other arenas I had been to too. And as a longtime Phantoms fan, I know full well how rough we as fans are down there. I think SOME criticism is warranted, no question, but I think a lot more of it isn't quite honestly..especially in Philly and to be honest, even I have to admit to giving a few Hershey or Wilkes-Barre fans some hell, but it was always in good nature...never heated at all because I don't do things like that.  Plus, I don't drink alcohol at games either, I stick to soda! LOL...

As a kid who grew up in north New Jersey, 45 min. from Manhattan, all but one of my favorite teams came from Philly...and you would absolutely be correct that Allentown IS home to a lot of transplants from NY/NJ like myself, but it's really been a great fit! The Poconos were nice while I lived there, but for many, they had this deep down resentment of people from those places and after dealing with it as I had for a long time, I finally got away from it and the environment down is much nicer and I've spoken to a few people down here already and I asked one of them how they felt about people from where I grew up and they were very receptive to the newcomers and he also said to me 'We're NOT the Poconos, we're not close-minded nor defensive when new people move here...we actually embrace them...sure, there are some crackpots, but most are decent people' 

And good to hear you'll give PPL Center a try, I'm sure you'll enjoy it just like I will too.  And yeah, a lot of the transplants who call Allentown home now aren't tuned into minor league hockey, definitely true, but I know a lot of local hockey fans who have waited a long time for this to finally come true and it almost has. If anything, as a season ticket holder, I'm always going to be on my best behavior all the time because I know if I act up, it reflects negatively not only myself, but the team too and I'll be damned if I'm gonna do that!  :thumbsup:

LVPP,

My assessment of Phantom Phans in general is based solely on my own experiences at Phantoms games. Not the media sensationalizing, not "oh, Phlliy gets a bad rap,"  or other Philly teams' fans.

I have never been to an NBA, NHL, or NFL game in Philly.  I had no problems at the one MLB game I attended in the new ballpark.  I had a few incidences at KIXX indoor soccer games - throwing food, the odd fan coming from several sections over to yell in our faces.  You just put up with some of it, ignore most of it, and when it gets out of hand alert security.

I have had unpleasant, less than friendly, and annoying experiences in several places, but at Philly hockey games it was intolerable.  Just standing in line to buy a ticket I was accosted by 6-7 year olds.  Not "Hershey sucks"  but you suck...while parents laughed.

It is the only place where I had my stuff stolen, I am thankful my jacket was still there when I returned to my seat.  When I asked the seemingly responsible adults behind me if they saw who took my stuff, they just laughed (so I assume it was their kids).

I don't think anyone is saying ALL of the fans anywhere, but if you are saying it is only a few Philly fans and mostly from other teams, then you are living in a phantasy world.

It is not just a few, it is the masses. I am willing to say that if you don't count the huge number of fans who are "inert", then it is most fans.  In most places you could get away from "the few".  Not so in Philly...the wandering hordes sought you out.

Like Rumb said, it is the culture.

LVPP,

My assessment of Phantom Phans in general is based solely on my own experiences at Phantoms games. Not the media sensationalizing, not "oh, Phlliy gets a bad rap,"  or other Philly teams' fans.

I have never been to an NBA, NHL, or NFL game in Philly.  I had no problems at the one MLB game I attended in the new ballpark.  I had a few incidences at KIXX indoor soccer games - throwing food, the odd fan coming from several sections over to yell in our faces.  You just put up with some of it, ignore most of it, and when it gets out of hand alert security.

I have had unpleasant, less than friendly, and annoying experiences in several places, but at Philly hockey games it was intolerable.  Just standing in line to buy a ticket I was accosted by 6-7 year olds.  Not "Hershey sucks"  but you suck...while parents laughed.

It is the only place where I had my stuff stolen, I am thankful my jacket was still there when I returned to my seat.  When I asked the seemingly responsible adults behind me if they saw who took my stuff, they just laughed (so I assume it was their kids).

I don't think anyone is saying ALL of the fans anywhere, but if you are saying it is only a few Philly fans and mostly from other teams, then you are living in a phantasy world.

It is not just a few, it is the masses. I am willing to say that if you don't count the huge number of fans who are "inert", then it is most fans.  In most places you could get away from "the few".  Not so in Philly...the wandering hordes sought you out.

Ok, I hear ya...Citizens Bank Park is a really nice place, even though it's been years since I've been there...but will get there either later this season or next season definitely....always had a good time down there. 

Going to Sixers or Flyer games really isn't too bad I wouldn't think...I think it all goes back to the 'few bad apples in the bunch' thinking there...otherwise, I think it's a pretty fun time there...as you said, if it ever gets out of hand, just let an usher or security know, that's really the best way to handle it. 

I can tell you from experience that most of the time, I buy my tickets in advance, but one time when I didn't have tickets for a game up in Wilkes-Barre and I went up to the window with my Bialowas jersey on for the game and as I walked up to the window, the three hayseeds were ripping on me to 'Go back to Philly where I belong with the rest of the trash' and whatnot, but I ignored it, got the last tickets they had because that night was a sellout...The Baby Pens were up 3-1, but the Phantoms came back to score 4 unanswered goals, including an empty netter to win, 5-3...as soon as Slaney scored the empty netter, you could see those twits grumbling and stomping out of there. 

As far as it being only a FEW Philly fans and not anyone else? Well, I don't believe that at all. We have more than our fair share of idiots and it's those clowns who make it bad for the decent majority of fans...and they don't care either...

Rum may be right, I guess it is the culture these days unfortunately...I don't like that it is and it bothers me that it goes on, but there really isn't much you can do, I guess...if people want to act like classless numbnuts, they're gonna do it. The way I see it, I won't say PPL Center is going to be like heaven on Earth because I know no place IS that, but I DO think you'll find a lot more decent and hockey-starved fans down here. That's why I always say that most Philly fans are branded wrongly mostly because of the blatant immaturity that occurs at Eagles games...and I haven't forgotten one of our 'fans' stomping that off-duty cop from Jersey after the Winter Classic that we lost to the Rangers...booze, no doubt fueled that one, no question about it...it almost always does...

I COULD drink, but I just choose not to do so...never much cared for beer anyways....makes you drunk AND fat and those are two things I don't need and don't want... :D

Yes.

Philly can go to hell.

I can tell you that there definitely were, and are, some people here (Philly) who feel like it's their duty to be a jerk to visiting fans.

But the people *I* knew personally, a lot of whom were booster club members, got on just fine with visiting fans. In a lot of cases, we're talking about people who road-tripped to other arenas, and they treated visitors like THEY wanted to be treated during road games. I know I usually wound up in conversations talking about former Phantoms currently on the other team (or current Phantoms who were alumni of the other team), and which refs were the biggest peabrains. Most fans can agree on which refs are the most frustrating.

Heck, we even got commiserated with by Sens fans one time, when the Phantoms Phan Club made the trip to Bingo. That was the night I started calling a certain official "Jamie F. Koharski". Sens fans told us, "Man, you guys got SCREWED" after we killed off something like 18 penalties plus got the tying goal disallowed in the final few seconds of regulation. I will go to my grave declaring that goal should've counted. That's a whole 'nother story. Koharski should've been busted back down to peewee level after that game. Good Grief.

Anyway, we were a bunch of Philly fans who didn't act like a bunch of losers while on the road, nor did we mistreat the visitors we met. It's just that that subset of utter schmucks is SO vocal, it can be easy to think there are a lot more dipshidiots acting up than there actually are.

LVPP,

Ok, I hear ya...Citizens Bank Park is a really nice place, even though it's been years since I've been there...but will get there either later this season or next season definitely....always had a good time down there. 

Going to Sixers or Flyer games really isn't too bad I wouldn't think...I think it all goes back to the 'few bad apples in the bunch' thinking there...otherwise, I think it's a pretty fun time there...as you said, if it ever gets out of hand, just let an usher or security know, that's really the best way to handle it. 

I can tell you from experience that most of the time, I buy my tickets in advance, but one time when I didn't have tickets for a game up in Wilkes-Barre and I went up to the window with my Bialowas jersey on for the game and as I walked up to the window, the three hayseeds were ripping on me to 'Go back to Philly where I belong with the rest of the trash' and whatnot, but I ignored it, got the last tickets they had because that night was a sellout...The Baby Pens were up 3-1, but the Phantoms came back to score 4 unanswered goals, including an empty netter to win, 5-3...as soon as Slaney scored the empty netter, you could see those twits grumbling and stomping out of there. 

As far as it being only a FEW Philly fans and not anyone else? Well, I don't believe that at all. We have more than our fair share of idiots and it's those clowns who make it bad for the decent majority of fans...and they don't care either...

Rum may be right, I guess it is the culture these days unfortunately...I don't like that it is and it bothers me that it goes on, but there really isn't much you can do, I guess...if people want to act like classless numbnuts, they're gonna do it. The way I see it, I won't say PPL Center is going to be like heaven on Earth because I know no place IS that, but I DO think you'll find a lot more decent and hockey-starved fans down here. That's why I always say that most Philly fans are branded wrongly mostly because of the blatant immaturity that occurs at Eagles games...and I haven't forgotten one of our 'fans' stomping that off-duty cop from Jersey after the Winter Classic that we lost to the Rangers...booze, no doubt fueled that one, no question about it...it almost always does...

I COULD drink, but I just choose not to do so...never much cared for beer anyways....makes you drunk AND fat and those are two things I don't need and don't want... :D

Oh, I remember that stupid punk who beat up the Rangers fan -- I hope they throw the book at him and whoever else joined in. If all they did was razz the Rangers guys, that would be one thing. I somehow suspect that NY fans can give back as good as they get, lol. And you are probably not an introverted person if you are walking the streets of Philly wearing Rangers colors, so I would presume you're willing to speak up as needed. ;) But that altercation got WAY out of hand. There's no justifying that.

Honestly, I never had an issue with visiting fans, outside of the early years of the Pens, and in specific, that playoff series I mentioned earlier. WOW there were a lot of obnoxious creatures among the visitors then. But as the fan base matured, the W-B fans who made the drive to Philly stopped acting like the guy I turned my back on. We got to see the fans who were just there to cheer their team, not to be idiots. And I THOSE are the fans I LIKE seeing.

LVPP,

Oh, I remember that stupid punk who beat up the Rangers fan -- I hope they throw the book at him and whoever else joined in. If all they did was razz the Rangers guys, that would be one thing. I somehow suspect that NY fans can give back as good as they get, lol. And you are probably not an introverted person if you are walking the streets of Philly wearing Rangers colors, so I would presume you're willing to speak up as needed. ;) But that altercation got WAY out of hand. There's no justifying that.

Honestly, I never had an issue with visiting fans, outside of the early years of the Pens, and in specific, that playoff series I mentioned earlier. WOW there were a lot of obnoxious creatures among the visitors then. But as the fan base matured, the W-B fans who made the drive to Philly stopped acting like the guy I turned my back on. We got to see the fans who were just there to cheer their team, not to be idiots. And I THOSE are the fans I LIKE seeing.

I remember that too, Gabey, and that was yet ANOTHER shot for the national media to take potshots at Philly...made me sick quite honestly...and to be honest, I'm in total agreement in hoping that they throw the book at that SOB too, I really do! Razzing is one thing, but doing what they did clearly crossed the line and it was yet another black eye for the city too! 

I've never had a problem with opposing fans in the home arena of the team I'm backing...if they keep it civil, I'd be the first one to welcome them back, but if they're NOT, then I'll be damned if I'm gonna lay out the welcome mat for them to come back again....And yes, having grown up near the NYC area, believe me, I've always been convinced that a Ranger fan can give back as good as they get and not many can honestly do that either...if you're in Philly and wearing Ranger colors, be prepared for what you're gonna get because it will be a good deal of it, just like I know to expect it when I go to Newark in the future when the Devils are playing either the Kings or Flyers...

The DECENT fans, I'd NEVER mind seeing them, but when it comes to the alcohol-induced ones who left their brains AND class at home? Eh, not so much!  :(