RowdyFan42

The future of professional hockey in Glens Falls

My apologies, adsfan...allow me to clarify.

Houston, prior to 2002, did not have any opponents that would have enabled them to travel by bus and return the same day, thus requiring the purchase of airfare and hotel rooms for road trips.

My point being that Houston had a business model that enabled them to survive in that environment, so their departure would not necessarily spell doom for their neighbors, provided they had the same keys to sustainability.

My apologies, adsfan...allow me to clarify.

Houston, prior to 2002, did not have any opponents that would have enabled them to travel by bus and return the same day, thus requiring the purchase of airfare and hotel rooms for road trips.

My point being that Houston had a business model that enabled them to survive in that environment, so their departure would not necessarily spell doom for their neighbors, provided they had the same keys to sustainability.

No need to apologize Ody. Most of the Western Conference is like that. Milwaukee is lucky that they can bus to Chicago, Rockford, Peoria and Grand Rapids. They bus to Cleveland (8 hours) but they always lose there. Maybe they should fly if they want some wins against LEM! Rochester is 12 hours, which is too far to play the same day.

The distances that I cited for Houston, i.e. 600 to 1000 miles, are too far to go via bus. I agree with you 100%. A lot of IHL teams flew, which probably contributed to the demise of the league, plus having a team in San Diego and one in Albany (also an outpost) seems idiotic, but the IHL did it. I have no idea why they invaded AHL turf. Cleveland or Erie would have been smarter. The old IHlL circa 1970, was a bus league with teams in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana plus Des Moines (the longest distance was 625 miles from Des Moines to Dayton). All but one year, the Gems played 2 games on every trip to Des Moines; just like going to Abottsford now.

Just running with the "moving east" idea as a concept - how many places are really open? Richmond has an arena (and Norfolk could use a close rival); I can't imagine anyone going into Baltimore unless they get a new building; Atlantic City's open, and the Devils seem to like going there (though I'm not sure they could pull it off full time).

What might make for an interesting move is if several teams returned to the midwest cities they abandoned some years back. Cincinnati, Lexington, Louisville all hosted AHL hockey, and I'd love to see them come back.

Not likely, Rum. Are you forgetting about the Cyclones of the EChL, formerly international league, in the USBank arena, would let the Mighty Ducks back at the Gardens? I don't think Ken Young wants a return of the Ducks, who were with Syracuse after Portland and Iowa, remember, the Chops formerly Stars perhaps hosting the Houston Aeros. Wouldn't the Chops and Howard Baldwin, prior to the Whale, relinquish the Louisville Panthers or perhaps Mustafa Afr? Isn't his name, Rum, being taken down from the First Arena after the bankruptcy of the Elmira arena and jackals? Or if Rupp Arena and Kentucky Throughblades did not move to Cleveland after the demise of the Lumberjacks now Worcester Sharks. Did the Gunds destroy the IHL allowing the Lexington Men O'War would they give way for an AHL team or maybe the CHL, who is placing a team in Brampton?

That's what I think anyway :D

Just running with the "moving east" idea as a concept - how many places are really open? Richmond has an arena (and Norfolk could use a close rival); I can't imagine anyone going into Baltimore unless they get a new building; Atlantic City's open, and the Devils seem to like going there (though I'm not sure they could pull it off full time).

What might make for an interesting move is if several teams returned to the midwest cities they abandoned some years back. Cincinnati, Lexington, Louisville all hosted AHL hockey, and I'd love to see them come back.

Not likely, Rum. Are you forgetting about the Cyclones of the EChL, formerly international league, in the USBank arena, would let the Mighty Ducks back at the Gardens? I don't think Ken Young wants a return of the Ducks, who were with Syracuse after Portland and Iowa, remember, the Chops formerly Stars perhaps hosting the Houston Aeros. Wouldn't the Chops and Howard Baldwin, prior to the Whale, relinquish the Louisville Panthers or perhaps Mustafa Afr? Isn't his name, Rum, being taken down from the First Arena after the bankruptcy of the Elmira arena and jackals? Or if Rupp Arena and Kentucky Throughblades did not move to Cleveland after the demise of the Lumberjacks now Worcester Sharks. Did the Gunds destroy the IHL allowing the Lexington Men O'War would they give way for an AHL team or maybe the CHL, who is placing a team in Brampton?

fyi, Odie, no one needs to worry About  the Afr's anymore, their arrogance ended 48-72 hours ago when the Elmira Jackals and First Arena were transferred to Tom Freeman and Nathan Cook prior to game 3 of their series with the Florida Everblades.

Just running with the "moving east" idea as a concept - how many places are really open?  Richmond has an arena (and Norfolk could use a close rival); I can't imagine anyone going into Baltimore unless they get a new building; Atlantic City's open, and the Devils seem to like going there (though I'm not sure they could pull it off full time).

What might make for an interesting move is if several teams returned to the midwest cities they abandoned some years back.  Cincinnati, Lexington, Louisville all hosted AHL hockey, and I'd love to see them come back. 

the option now for the defending National Champion Louisville Cardinals, as a co-tenant, Rum, different era, new arena (KFC Yum! Center)

fyi, Odie, no one needs to worry About  the Afr's anymore, their arrogance ended 48-72 hours ago when the Elmira Jackals and First Arena were transferred to Tom Freeman and Nathan Cook prior to game 3 of their series with the Florida Everblades.

What did you DO, Odie.... WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!?!?!?

But the question we all need to know the answer to is,

IS THIS THE REAL HUTCH, OR A CHEAP IMPOSTER????

Can't you have an expensive imposter?

Interesting article in the Post Star today claimed the Brooks and the city have not signed a lease for next season yet.

http://poststar.com/sports/adirondack-s-alt-makes-himself-known/article_2fc3debc-a583-11e2-9409-0019bb2963f4.html

Edited by AlJensen

Hmmmm... that seems open to interpretation... to me it doesn't say "we haven't signed a lease", it says "we don't think another team is coming in to kick us out".

That's what I thought when I read that, but I was worried I'd missed something.

This was supposed to be the Phantoms last season in Glens Falls, but delays in Allentown forced delay on the move. They were supposed to sign a extra year lease April 1st, but at the time the city was talking to 2 other franchises allegedly about coming to Glens Falls so they extended the deadline to May 1st. It could be just a simple oversight and agreement for next year could be signed any day now or we could hear of another team coming to Glens Falls for next year. So it will be an interesting situation to follow for the next two weeks.

This was supposed to be the Phantoms last season in Glens Falls, but delays in Allentown forced delay on the move. They were supposed to sign a extra year lease April 1st, but at the time the city was talking to 2 other franchises allegedly about coming to Glens Falls so they extended the deadline to May 1st. It could be just a simple oversight and agreement for next year could be signed any day now or we could hear of another team coming to Glens Falls for next year. So it will be an interesting situation to follow for the next two weeks.

Either way, I have no doubt that the GFCC will have *a* tenant next year. If it's not the Phantoms, then it'll be another team that will be around beyond the end of next season.

I'm curious as to what the Plan B will be for the Phantoms if another team takes over the GFCC.

Either way, I have no doubt that the GFCC will have *a* tenant next year. If it's not the Phantoms, then it'll be another team that will be around beyond the end of next season.

I'm curious as to what the Plan B will be for the Phantoms if another team takes over the GFCC.

I have to agree with you, Gabey, that indeed I think the GFCC will also have A tenant next year and I do agree with you that if it's NOT the Phantoms, it will be another team who will be around to replace them .

As far as what 'Plan B' MIGHT be if another team takes over the GFCC, where that will leave the Phantoms then? I know one option would be to have them play games in Atlantic City at Boardwalk Hall and other games MIGHT possibly be moved to the Wells Fargo Center in Philly, but then you'd have to contend with scheduling between the Flyers and Sixers and other events that may already have been planned for there will in advance and let's not forget the Philadelphia Soul Arena Football League season too that will be played there....not sure if there are alternative arenas they CAN play at should the GFCC land a tenant sooner rather than later...

We'll have to see how this all plays out and I have NO doubts that it will most certainly be interesting, no question about it....with us, it ALWAYS is!  :D

Posted 20+ some pics that the Lehigh Valley Phantoms posted on their Facebook page earlier yesterday showing the progress of the arena as of right now, which I was pretty sure would happen once the arrival of the steel beams made it all the way from Erie.....

Edited by LehighValleyPhantomsPhan

I am on the hunt for it!  There is a better article in which it talks about no lease being done yet.  I will keep on effortting!

I have to agree with you, Gabey, that indeed I think the GFCC will also have A tenant next year and I do agree with you that if it's NOT the Phantoms, it will be another team who will be around to replace them .

As far as what 'Plan B' MIGHT be if another team takes over the GFCC, where that will leave the Phantoms then? I know one option would be to have them play games in Atlantic City at Boardwalk Hall and other games MIGHT possibly be moved to the Wells Fargo Center in Philly, but then you'd have to contend with scheduling between the Flyers and Sixers and other events that may already have been planned for there will in advance and let's not forget the Philadelphia Soul Arena Football League season too that will be played there....not sure if there are alternative arenas they CAN play at should the GFCC land a tenant sooner rather than later...

We'll have to see how this all plays out and I have NO doubts that it will most certainly be interesting, no question about it....with us, it ALWAYS is!  :D

Posted 20+ some pics that the Lehigh Valley Phantoms posted on their Facebook page earlier yesterday showing the progress of the arena as of right now, which I was pretty sure would happen once the arrival of the steel beams made it all the way from Erie.....

The reason the Phantoms moved out of Philly, rather than bouncing over to the Center, was that there were too few GOOD nights available after the Flyers and Sixers took up the schedule. The AHL is primarily a weekend league, with the vast majority of games coming on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Between the Flyers and Sixers alone, that uses up a whole lot of weekend dates. The Phantoms could have used weeknights, but AHL attendance on weeknights is historically not so great. And that included weeknight Spectrum games, so it's not like we had the recent history to say that we could draw a solid crowd on weeknights.

If a replacement team takes up residence at the GFCC, I'd like to see the Phantoms in AC next year. But the likelihood of that sequence of events is low. I'm reasonably sure they're going to be at the GFCC next year. That seems the most logical answer, even if we havent' signed a lease for next year yet.

The reason the Phantoms moved out of Philly, rather than bouncing over to the Center, was that there were too few GOOD nights available after the Flyers and Sixers took up the schedule. The AHL is primarily a weekend league, with the vast majority of games coming on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Between the Flyers and Sixers alone, that uses up a whole lot of weekend dates. The Phantoms could have used weeknights, but AHL attendance on weeknights is historically not so great. And that included weeknight Spectrum games, so it's not like we had the recent history to say that we could draw a solid crowd on weeknights.

If a replacement team takes up residence at the GFCC, I'd like to see the Phantoms in AC next year. But the likelihood of that sequence of events is low. I'm reasonably sure they're going to be at the GFCC next year. That seems the most logical answer, even if we havent' signed a lease for next year yet.

Ok, Gabey, that definitely makes sense for sure...I had to know with the schedules of the Sixers and Flyers and with the other events there, there was really no other choice but TO move......and you're also right that attendance at AHL games during the week has never really been overly great while the weekend games do much better. 

If a team IS lined up for the GFCC either before next season and the Phantoms DO move, I think that Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City would be a prime spot for them to end up for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind that at all. And like you said, the likelihood of that happening is extremely small, the most logical conclusion would be that they finish out next season in Glens Falls and then move to Allentown next summer because by then, I'm pretty certain PPL Center will either be completely built or damn near it...they're making nice progress on it right now from the pictures I've seen the Lehigh Valley Phantoms posting on their Facebook page, the steel-work has begun to take shape already....

Edited by LehighValleyPhantomsPhan