RowdyFan42

The future of professional hockey in Glens Falls

The answer to the Phantoms question is quite simple, if the GFCC finds a new tenant, the Phantoms will go dark for a year. That was the plan when they moved out of the Spectrum. Then Glens Falls offered a sweatheart deal.

The answer to the Phantoms question is quite simple, if the GFCC finds a new tenant, the Phantoms will go dark for a year. That was the plan when they moved out of the Spectrum. Then Glens Falls offered a sweatheart deal.

Well, sounds right, Traveler, but it's my understanding that should the GFCC find another team to replace the Phantoms, the Brookses would relinquish control of the team and let the new team work stuff out as far as that goes....and they would either play many of their home games in Atlantic City at Boardwalk Hall and quite possibly a couple at Reading's Sovereign Center and a few open dates in Philly at the Wells Fargo Center...they wouldn't go dark for a year, that much I'm sure of because the Brookses don't want that to happen and will do all they can to ensure that doesn't happen. 

They're making some nice headway on the construction in Allentown, but they're a good deal away from being done yet....if I were a betting man, I wouldn't count on them leaving Glens Falls before their time there is over, but the only way they WILL end things early is if they have another tenant for the GFCC and right now, as far as I'm aware anyways, that's not going to happen...at least not in the short term anyways...

Edited by LehighValleyPhantomsPhan

The answer to the Phantoms question is quite simple, if the GFCC finds a new tenant, the Phantoms will go dark for a year. That was the plan when they moved out of the Spectrum. Then Glens Falls offered a sweatheart deal.

I nominate this for an AHLie Award for 'Fanciest Post'

Edit: look up above, the font did not come through on my reply

Edited by OdysseusMontezuma

...it's my understanding that should the GFCC find another team to replace the Phantoms, the Brookses would relinquish control of the team and let the new team work stuff out as far as that goes....

You will have to explain that one.  The Brookses are not going to relinquish control of the franchise or the affiliation.  At this point, they may or may not give up the lease option.  If their is another team then the Brookses will have absolutely nothing to say about how the new teams works stuff out...much less let them do anything.

... I wouldn't count on them leaving Glens Falls before their time there is over,

Unless they sign another lease, their time in Glens Falls is over this weekend.

...it's my understanding that should the GFCC find another team to replace the Phantoms, the Brookses would relinquish control of the team and let the new team work stuff out as far as that goes....

You will have to explain that one.  The Brookses are not going to relinquish control of the franchise or the affiliation.  At this point, they may or may not give up the lease option.  If their is another team then the Brookses will have absolutely nothing to say about how the new teams works stuff out...much less let them do anything.

>... I wouldn't count on them leaving Glens Falls before their time there is over,

Unless they sign another lease, their time in Glens Falls is over this weekend.

Of course the Brookses are NOT going to relinquish control of the franchise and if what I said made it seem like they said that, then my apologies because that's most certainly NOT their intent whatsoever...what I DID mean to say is that if a new team could be relocated to Glens Falls prior to next season beginning, they would step aside and let those involved with the new team to do what they need to do. The Brookses would have to find another place for the Phantoms to play until the arena in Allentown is finished sometime next spring or summer at the latest. Might be a few games at Sovereign Center in Reading or at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey or at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia...they DO have alternative arenas to play at should this happen, but a lot of things would have to be worked out to make that happen of course...

And you're right, Soc/key, they would absolutely have NOTHING to say how the new team does anything at all...I was under the impression that they would remain in Glens Falls until next season ended and only THEN would they relocate to Allentown....I'm honestly unaware if an extension for the final season in Glens Falls has been signed or not, at least not that I had heard yet anyways...if I happen to hear anything about this at all, I'll most certainly post it here for sure...

Put a bit of thought into this and the name Rivermen can stay!  Glens Falls has a history of using the river to run logs from the Adirondacks to points south for the mills, both paper and lumber in the day.  Adirondack Rivermen, although the logo would have to change a bit, more like a guy guiding a log down a river, not the Steamboat captain.

http://www.foresthistory.org/Research/Galleries/Logging_LogDrives_Drivers_Gallery/pages/FHS4908th.htm

Put a bit of thought into this and the name Rivermen can stay! Glens Falls has a history of using the river to run logs from the Adirondacks to points south for the mills, both paper and lumber in the day. Adirondack Rivermen, although the logo would have to change a bit, more like a guy guiding a log down a river, not the Steamboat captain.

http://www.foresthistory.org/Research/Galleries/Logging_LogDrives_Drivers_Gallery/pages/FHS4908th.htm

You know something the rest of us don't, Al?

Put a bit of thought into this and the name Rivermen can stay! Glens Falls has a history of using the river to run logs from the Adirondacks to points south for the mills, both paper and lumber in the day. Adirondack Rivermen, although the logo would have to change a bit, more like a guy guiding a log down a river, not the Steamboat captain.

You know something the rest of us don't, Al?

Wish I did!

http://www.abbynews.com/news/204174211.html

Let the silly season begin.  They need a home!

“Recently there has been public discussion regarding the potential for the Vancouver Canucks to become the prime tenants of the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre," Banman stated in a press release. “Unfortunately, the City of Abbotsford was unable to negotiate an agreement with the Canucks with terms that were satisfactory within the time constraints."

“City Council will continue to ensure that taxpayers' interests are put ahead of all other considerations,” Banman added. “We’re naturally disappointed this deal couldn’t come together, but any deal we make has to see Abbotsford taxpayers better off than they are right now – and that is one issue that isn’t negotiable.”

Given the reference to the taxpayers, this tells me that Vancouver likely wanted a deal similar to what Calgary got in 2009, and the city was not willing or able to deliver. Is there a new mayor/city council since 2009?

I think the implications of this may be substantial. Go figure: unless the Canucks wanted a better deal, would there be that much for the City to lose by giving them the same incentive as Calgary? If anything, there will probably be a backlash against the Heat knowing that the Canucks were pretty close to coming to town and the city couldn't deliver. If the Flames in any way impeded the deal, the backlash would be worse.

Also, the headline mentions that the Heat are staying put, but there is nothing about this in the article. I know that is implied, given that there are still six years left on the lease. However, one might think they would at least put something in there finally debunking the Utica Flames rumors on account of the fact that there will apparently no franchise swap in Abbotsford this year.

Based on the other article I posted the Canucks were in New York. What cities are left there? Utica and Adirondack possibly?

That is the complete list of cities in New York available at this point, unless something screwy is in the works.

So this is WAAAAYYYYY out there.

Next year

Vancouver puts their team in GF for next year with the possibility of staying waiting for Calgary to pull out of Abbotsford.

Trenton Titons take a one year leave from the ECHL and becomes the AAA affliate of the Flyers.

Year After

The Phantoms are in Allentown

Calgary and Vancouver switch GF and Abbotsford

Trenton is now the AA affliate of the Flyers

Thanks Keith, I wasn't aware of there not being any hockey in Trenton next year, I was under the assumption they would be...I just really got into the Titans this season and now, nothing?

That sucks big time, I really enjoyed listening to their games online this year too...their radio guy Darryl Dobos was really enjoyable for sure!  :(

I don't think the GF management would trade a 1-year deal for a 1-year deal. 

A year with Vancouver, could lead to more years.  A year with the Phantoms leads to Allentown after next season.  New blood in GF would not hurt.  A lot of people around here are done with the Flyers.

A year with Vancouver, could lead to more years.  A year with the Phantoms leads to Allentown after next season.  New blood in GF would not hurt.  A lot of people around here are done with the Flyers.

Good point there, Al...and if Glens Falls were to get some new blood there, it certainly wouldn't hurt at all.  A lot up there are done with the Flyers? Hmm, to be honest, I wasn't overly positive about them moving up to an area that more than likely wouldn't be overly receptive to them, I'll be honest, I wasn't....but over time, I've grown to appreciate them up there, but it seems that the feeling wasn't mutual sadly... :(

Not sure what we've done to piss off so many in the Adirondack region and honestly, I'm not sure I WANT to know....and yes, I saw earlier that the Blues are aligned with Chicago now for the next three years too. 

I saw your sig there too, Al, believe me, I wish we could take them now, but they're only starting to make good progress on the arena construction once the steel came in from Erie, but as far as I know, it won't be ready for another year at least...

Good point there, Al...and if Glens Falls were to get some new blood there, it certainly wouldn't hurt at all.  A lot up there are done with the Flyers? Hmm, to be honest, I wasn't overly positive about them moving up to an area that more than likely wouldn't be overly receptive to them, I'll be honest, I wasn't....but over time, I've grown to appreciate them up there, but it seems that the feeling wasn't mutual sadly... :(

Not sure what we've done to piss off so many in the Adirondack region and honestly, I'm not sure I WANT to know....and yes, I saw earlier that the Blues are aligned with Chicago now for the next three years too. 

I saw your sig there too, Al, believe me, I wish we could take them now, but they're only starting to make good progress on the arena construction once the steel came in from Erie, but as far as I know, it won't be ready for another year at least...

A it of ADK hockey history for you.  When the Red Wings were in their glory days, it was a balance of veterans and young guys.  Many of the veterans were NHL guys attempting to hold on for one last shot, (see Jon Sim).  Many of the young guys would later go onto the NHL.  At one point over 60 guys were NHL regulars that had played here in a five year window.  The Red Wings won four Calder Cups in about 15 years.  There was only one season in 20 years that they missed the playoffs.  Yes, the AHL was different back then, but a standard was set.

The Phantoms have never made the playoffs since coming to GF.  The Flyers constantly trade away picks to get players for the NHL team.  With those picks gone you have nothing to build your AHL team with.  Many of the guys on the Phantoms are late round picks or undrafted players.  Once in a while this will work, but there is a reason why a guy was undrafted by 30 teams.  Many of the guys here are ECHL players and not ready for the AHL.

Three years ago we had to witness two 10 game losing streaks.  I still remember Padock and Homer claiming there was nothing they would change.  It just rubbed people the wrong way.  Last year they fired Joe Patterson.  Patterson played for the Red Wings, lives in GF, and was basically the face of the team for all public events since becoming coach.  Reason for his removal of duties: not making the playoffs. 

As for my signature.  It  is a line a few of us came up with during the season.  It was painful to watch some of these games.  Actually only last season was somewhat enjoyable to watch.  There has been bad hockey in GF for three of the four seasons.

I truly think new blood would make the diehards happy and bring the casual fan back.

A it of ADK hockey history for you.  When the Red Wings were in their glory days, it was a balance of veterans and young guys.  Many of the veterans were NHL guys attempting to hold on for one last shot, (see Jon Sim).  Many of the young guys would later go onto the NHL.  At one point over 60 guys were NHL regulars that had played here in a five year window.  The Red Wings won four Calder Cups in about 15 years.  There was only one season in 20 years that they missed the playoffs.  Yes, the AHL was different back then, but a standard was set.

The Phantoms have never made the playoffs since coming to GF.  The Flyers constantly trade away picks to get players for the NHL team.  With those picks gone you have nothing to build your AHL team with.  Many of the guys on the Phantoms are late round picks or undrafted players.  Once in a while this will work, but there is a reason why a guy was undrafted by 30 teams.  Many of the guys here are ECHL players and not ready for the AHL.

Three years ago we had to witness two 10 game losing streaks.  I still remember Padock and Homer claiming there was nothing they would change.  It just rubbed people the wrong way.  Last year they fired Joe Patterson.  Patterson played for the Red Wings, lives in GF, and was basically the face of the team for all public events since becoming coach.  Reason for his removal of duties: not making the playoffs. 

As for my signature.  It  is a line a few of us came up with during the season.  It was painful to watch some of these games.  Actually only last season was somewhat enjoyable to watch.  There has been bad hockey in GF for three of the four seasons.

I truly think new blood would make the diehards happy and bring the casual fan back.

Sounds like San Jose

As a Flyer fan, believe me, I'm none too happy that they keep trading away guys like they do...sometimes I can justify why they do it, but with most others, I can't...

I certainly was NOT a fan of Patterson being fired because I felt he had gotten the team going in the right direction and the next thing you know, he's canned. Still wondering why THAT happened...if it was deserved, I could see it, but he got the team going in a far better position and his reward was a pinkslip....NOT happy about that at all, but what can you do? Since the Phantoms are moving south next summer, maybe whichever team replaces the Phantoms could hire Patterson back as coach because I really believe he IS a good one at that. I think Holmgren has gotten far too big for his britches within the organization and doesn't really care how he guts it or who he deals either...it's time that he was given a pinkslip himself, but I doubt Snider does that....if he DID do that, it would shock me, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it...Let him finish with the new team that he started with the Phantoms....

Why would the current ownership do much to make the locals happy if they haven't been all along? I mean, like I said before, by this time next summer, they're gone to PPL Center in Allentown...if people in Glens Falls aren't happy I can understand that because a lot of my Flyer/Phantom fan friends aren't happy either...the positive mojo this team finally regained under Patterson was negated after he was canned. Is Murray a good fit? Well, honestly don't know I'll be honest...I like Terry, but I just don't know...I WOULD like to see him as coach when they move south next summer, but I'm not so sure he will be....

I've suggested to more than a few of my friends that Homer should be shown the door and they make a pitch to get former Flyer goalie great and fan favorite, Ron Hextall, back into the fold. HE epitomized Philly hockey in NOT backing down from anyone and I think we all saw that after he went after Chris Chelios for his clearly blatant cheapshot on former Flyer Brian Propp.  Not sure what his status in Los Angeles is right now, but I say put out a feeler to the Kings and see if they would bite...if it doesn't work, it wouldn't really surprise, but if it DID work, I really think things pick up throughout the organization, especially with the Flyers as well as the Phantoms....Homer has done SOME good things, I would never deny that, but we need a new, but familiar AND popular face in the GM's office and IMHO, his name is Ron Hextall...

Edited by LehighValleyPhantomsPhan

The challenge with bringing Hextall back here is that Hexy is under contract to LA, so we would need special permission to talk to him.

Having said that... we never DID get those "future considerations" that LA promisted us for the JR trade. ;) Hey, LA, I have a suggestion for what those considerations might be... a chat with Hexy.

Interesting article in today's Post Star.  A local developer has been approached about buying an ECHL team, but also mentions he would be interested in an AHL team, if one was available.  Also this developer had informal talks with the mayor about purchasing the GFCC.  One way to make sure you have a local team is local ownership.  I have been waiting for someone to step up.  We have Phil Morse locally and he owns 10% of the Red Sox, I always thought he might be the one.

http://poststar.com/news/local/developer-s-interest-in-buying-a-pro-hockey-team-came/article_0c494246-bc13-11e2-aa01-0019bb2963f4.html

I think that is great news for Glens Falls. Even if a franchise is not available to them for purchase, an NHL affiliate might be inclined to team up with local partners to operate their AHL team. I think it makes the market much more desirable than if the GFCC were left to lure an NHL owner-affiliate without local investors.

Maybe they can get on the horn with Laurence Gilman of the Canucks, provided they don't find a place to play this season. Perhaps they have already spoken?

It is great news for Glens Falls you think a year or two ago it seemed like their was little or no chance to get a team here but with this news and all the upheaval with teams especially in the west it seems almost certain they will have a team for 2014-2015. Also they couldn't get the Canucks this year anyway they already have an agreement with the Phantoms for this season.