RowdyFan42

The future of professional hockey in Glens Falls

Allow me to clarify: if Vancouver does not find a place to play this year, maybe they have a chance to wind up in Glens Falls next year.

Sorry about that. When I reread it, it sounded like I was suggesting they play there this year.

Oh no problem wasn't sure if you were aware of that. I really do hope Vancouver does decide to put their AHL affiliate in Glens Falls and I hope they decide to bring the Moose name back that they used in Winnepeg that would be awesome. If you look at their schedule last year it is a dream travel and weekend schedule last year they only had two road trips that required them to be home for more than one night and they only had three non weekend/holiday home games last year and two of those were against St. John's who you have to schedule around their brutal road trips.

Vancouver doesn't own the "Moose" name, True North Sports the company that owns the Winnipeg Jets and its AHL affiliate the Icecaps does. This goes back to the time the team existed in Minnesota during its IHL days.

Your other left... :bleh:

Since THIS season is still ongoing for some, though not most of us here, perhaps the designation of seasons should be by the numbers.

Technically, NEXT year is 13-14.  14-15 is the following year.

I did a little research after reading about the ECHL possibly coming to Glens Falls it seems that the team who would be coming is the Florida Everblades. I came up with this conclusion because in the Post Star article that Rich Schermerhorn was approached about buying an ECHL team while in Florida and in an unrelated article I read apparently Peter Karamos the owner if the Carolina Hurricanes, Charlotte Checkers, and Florida Everblades is interested in selling his ECHL team. So that is how I came to that conclusion no inside information just basic coincidence.

I did a little research after reading about the ECHL possibly coming to Glens Falls it seems that the team who would be coming is the Florida Everblades. I came up with this conclusion because in the Post Star article that Rich Schermerhorn was approached about buying an ECHL team while in Florida and in an unrelated article I read apparently Peter Karamos the owner if the Carolina Hurricanes, Charlotte Checkers, and Florida Everblades is interested in selling his ECHL team. So that is how I came to that conclusion no inside information just basic coincidence.

Good find, 518...I hadn't known any of this before, but since Karmanos IS interested in selling his ECHL team, the Everblades, that could very well be the team that replaces the Phantoms once they head south to Allentown's PPL Center once it's completed...

I know it wouldn't be the BEST option, BUT, it would be better than having the GFCC go dark...and who knows, maybe a change of scenery would do the team well, I don't know...they may be better than expected,or they could be worse...but like I said, if they were the only team available, I say Glens Falls should make a pitch to relocate them there...guess we'll see what happens...and not having any inside information is fine, if anything, I'm glad you brought that to light!   :thumbsup:

Edited by LehighValleyPhantomsPhan

It could be a possibilty it seems like the ECHL wants a 30 team league with each team having thief own affiliates like the AHL and one of the good things about the Florida Everblades that could work in their advantage in Glens Falls is that they are not only affiliated with Carolina but the Rangers as well.

I had a talk with a guy who is the head of ticket sales at Lowell. When I commented to him about Vancouver and how awesome it would be to get AHL hockey back in Lowell he said there was "no interest". I think they are content with UML hockey 

UMass Lowell is becoming a premier program and Hockey East is getting to the point where everyone is good enough to compete nationally. They are not going to want to give up prime dates.

Yep.  It doesn't sound like the AHL's returning to Lowell anytime soon.  I don't expect the ECHL to go there either.  The Lowell Devils weren't doing so well in attendance.  (I tell ya, I've been to the Tsongas Center in 2009 to see Tiesto.  It didn't sell out, but I would bet the attendance from three Lowell Devils home games combined weren't as high as the Tiesto event there.)  They had to wait until the UML schedule was ready before the Devils could schedule their games, and the Devils couldn't get a lot of weekend dates.  As much as I'd like to see the AHL back in Lowell (or ECHL, I'm open to see that), I'm not expecting it'll be back anytime soon.

I had a talk with a guy who is the head of ticket sales at Lowell. When I commented to him about Vancouver and how awesome it would be to get AHL hockey back in Lowell he said there was "no interest". I think they are content with UML hockey 

I know of who you speak...he is not a credible source.

So if Glens Fallls gets an ECHL team suddenly a Lowell Bruins ECHL team suddenly doesn't look so far fetched.

Unless they're brining another couple of teams with them it's just as far fetched as it was before.

The sale of the Devils brings up a whole new set of questions. Fact is the Phantoms are leaving after this season and the Devils lease is up after the next with it being far from a guarentee they stay after that. It's even possible the new owner of the Devils could buy out the last year and move them closer (Trenton). This could possibly leave a big hole geographically for the AHL with no teams in eastern New York. It will be interesting to see how this plays out if they relocate a franchise or two to Glens Falls and possibly Albany or if another league like the ECHL uses this as an opportunity to expand its league to the east.

Have to admitt that this is raising my curiousity a bit:

http://www.phantomshockey.com/pages/news/articles/20130905a.asp

Might have to cut my meetings short on Monday and check this out.  Find it interesting that they are talking about next season and beyond.  Is it possible to have something already lined up?  I am sure no team name would be used, that would be suicide for that franchise for this upcoming season.

Have to admitt that this is raising my curiousity a bit:

http://www.phantomshockey.com/pages/news/articles/20130905a.asp

Might have to cut my meetings short on Monday and check this out.  Find it interesting that they are talking about next season and beyond.  Is it possible to have something already lined up?  I am sure no team name would be used, that would be suicide for that franchise for this upcoming season.

I just read that too, Al and I'm with you in thinking this way too...COULD it be that they have something else lined up after the Phantoms relocate down here next fall? It's entirely possible that they do indeed or if not yet, they're close and mentioning things right now WOULD be suicide for whoever that team is this season, wherever that may be....good point as was raised before...

Even though we're getting the Phantoms down here next fall, in all honesty, I really do hope Glens Falls is able to secure a replacement franchise to replace the Phantoms once they leave...nice move and more importantly a SMART one to not let on what they know, if they have another team lined up or will have them lined up, don't say a damn word until it's time...I really wish Glens Falls the best of luck with this because they've been a great host for the last few years...I know, initially, I didn't like this, but over time, my mind changed completely...I'd love to see Glens Falls do well after the Phantoms depart the GFCC... :thumbsup:

Attended the press conference at the GFCC today kind if a big waste of time. It was pretty much promoting the new 25 years of AHL hockey in Glens Falls logo they will be slapping in jerseys for one game that they can auction off immeadiately after, but I did get to ask a few questions and over hear some of the medias questions. First of all their are no solid leads for next year as of right now. Secondly the city plans on trying to get a Utica like grant to fix the civic center up. Third they have not had any contact with the Portland Pirates. Fourth the city has no intention of selling the civic center right. Finally their prime focus is on bringing an AHL team there for next year, but are not ruling out any other options such as the ECHL. So in my opinion mayor Jack Diamond is risking his political career by turning down Rich Schermerhorn's offer to buy the arena and bring an ECHL team here for next year on the possibility of getting a grant upgrading the arena and attracting a new AHL team here because if he can't and the arena becomes an empty albatross in the taxpayers he's going to have a hard time explaining why he didn't take the sure thing that would of took the civic centers operating costs of the books.

There is no "sure thing" when it comes to an arena. I know nothing of the guy  who wants to buy the arena, but he's setting himself up to bleed money if he wants to bring in the ECHL to that region as has been mentioned a zillion times before. If the guy loses his shirt, he defaults and suddenly the arena becomes an albatross again.

Jack Diamond is a great name for a mayor, just like "Diamond" Joe Quimby.

Edited by Section109

If it's in the paper now then you're just a bargaining chip for Petrovek.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.   :P

I don't mean to put you down, but was there ever any doubt that Glens Falls would become the latest bargaining chip in Petrovek's arsenal?  Any other AHL market with an impending expiring lease can also expect to enter the discussion, though I don't know off the top of my head if there are any.  (Read: I'm too lazy to dig up my notes. :P)

Pirates still focused on Portland

Chris Roy | Maine Hockey Journal

LEWISTON – Brian Petrovek, managing owner of the Portland Pirates, called Glens Falls, New York absolutely a last resort.

Petrovek confirmed that he toured Glens Falls late last month while the Pirates were in Albany, New York for an American Hockey League game.

READ MORE

Yeah, I've heard Portland was in Glens Falls to check out the GFCC and that they liked what they saw there, but something tells me that when everything is said and done, the Pirates stay in Maine...either in Lewiston or back in Portland...wouldn't mind seeing them replace the Phantoms when they move next summer, but I really don't see that happening....

Outside of Portland's situation, were there any other teams that you're aware of that MIGHT be considering relocating or no? If not, I understand that, but if so, I was wondering if you had any idea as to which teams it MIGHT be...not saying they'd actually say anything publically because if they did say it publically, whatever team it was would see attendance drop off big time and if I were a team considering a move, I wouldn't say it til later on....