Sign in to follow this  
keith in ct

Story on Pirates lease situation

Sadly. he's not far off. This isn't Brian Rogers first rodeo with Lewiston. He was the PxP with the QMJHL Fog Devils and had to travel to Lewiston frequently. The place is a great junior and HS hockey building, but it stinks for AHL hockey.

I think most of us assumed the talks of moving to Glens Falls were just a smokescreen, that the Pirates would figure out a way to stay in Maine even if they couldn't work things out with the CCCC. I found it interesting that Cain admitted that Glens Falls was potentially Plan B and not just a negotiating tactic.

I think most of us assumed the talks of moving to Glens Falls were just a smokescreen, that the Pirates would figure out a way to stay in Maine even if they couldn't work things out with the CCCC. I found it interesting that Cain admitted that Glens Falls was potentially Plan B and not just a negotiating tactic.

They've threatened to move so many times now that it stopped being anything worth worrying about a few years ago.

The St John's announcer Brian Rogers just said he felt sorry for Portland this year having to travel from a practice rink to a "dingy arena in a seedy town with no one watching."

Wow....his co-announcer actually stopped him and he said "No, I'm serious!".

Listen to him tell the story of the time the Pirates "forgot" to play the Canadian National Anthem in a game against St. John's.

Edited by t114

Looks like someone is happy the Pirates will be going back to Portland.

Mike McKenna @MikeMcKenna56

Happy to hear the @PortlandPirates will be back in Portland next season. Where they belong. Outstanding people in a great @TheAHL market.

Mike McKenna @MikeMcKenna56

@GilroyTX Lewiston has been a failure on quite a few levels, not just attendance. Rink, lodging, etc etc.

Edited by wildcat48

So, I guess I'm not missing much on the Colisee in Lewiston? I bet it's similar to the Portland Expo Center where the NBA-DL's Maine Red Claws play (based on the description Wildcat gave of what the Colisee is like)? The bleachers in that arena appear pretty unstable there, and it does make a better high-school basketball court than a pro-league court.

I'm happy to see the Pirates are going back to the CCCC! (I look forward to seeing the new renovations myself!)

So, I guess I'm not missing much on the Colisee in Lewiston? I bet it's similar to the Portland Expo Center where the NBA-DL's Maine Red Claws play (based on the description Wildcat gave of what the Colisee is like)? The bleachers in that arena appear pretty unstable there, and it does make a better high-school basketball court than a pro-league court.

I'm happy to see the Pirates are going back to the CCCC! (I look forward to seeing the new renovations myself!)

WHAT Bleachers, it's the same seating as every other facility, just as the CCCC  has essentially renovated the arena, R.I.C.H. between both All Star Classics, for those that were there in 2003, remember the audio dying inside the arena, where all you could hear was the fans, and occassionally a ref's whistle....

Portland's Expo is much, like a basketball cage, that you'd find at any HS/College gym, the Colisee isn't like the Expo at all, although the only similarity is age of the facility.

but if Thompson's Point goes forward and is built, you  won't have to worry about the revenue sharing fiasco you saw here the last 18 months 

Good luck Portland fans.  I hope this works out for you.  We're still waiting for something to be said in Glens Falls for next year, but in the meantime it's good to hear your situation has been resolved.

BTW, you're here next week.  I hope we kick you're butts.  8-)

The St John's announcer Brian Rogers just said he felt sorry for Portland this year having to travel from a practice rink to a "dingy arena in a seedy town with no one watching."

Wow....his co-announcer actually stopped him and he said "No, I'm serious!".

Oh boy...is there a recording of this anywhere that you know of? I'd love the Lewiston fans/media to get a hold of that and properly welcome Mr. Rogers back to our neighborhood. Here in Lewiston we've been fighting a much unwarranted bad reputation - it's sort of a running joke to others in Maine that Lewiston is (insert your choice of derogatory term here). There's been quite the local movement lately to call people out on this, I think this would get some play.

No one watching, fair enough. Dingy arena? By AHL standards...sure. It's not designed for that. But seedy town? That's what's going to hit a nerve. Lewiston was the only city that was equipped to keep the Pirates in Maine this year. Without Lewiston, this situation would have been much, much worse. Lewiston didn't ask for this lease dispute, we did the best we could with what we have. A city steps up, provides a home for the Pirates while the suits bicker...and gets shit on for it.

So anyway, if you know of a source where I could pull this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could probably get the audio by purchasing the archived game from AHL Live. I'm not sure how that works as I've never done it. It was the Wednesday night game versus Providence and since there was no Bruins announcer, the St John's audio is all you'd get. There was also a tv broadcast but I'm not sure if it used the same feed. I want to say this exchange was sometime late in the first or early part of the second period.

I don't really see the need to get too excited though. He's a homer announcer for the St John's Ice Caps, not Ron MacLean.

Edited by Section109

You could probably get the audio by purchasing the archived game from AHL Live. I'm not sure how that works as I've never done it. It was the Wednesday night game versus Providence and since there was no Bruins announcer, the St John's audio is all you'd get. There was also a tv broadcast but I'm not sure if it used the same feed. I want to say this exchange was sometime late in the first or early part of the second period.

I don't really see the need to get too excited though. He's a homer announcer for the St John's Ice Caps, not Ron MacLean.

Thank you kindly sir! And yes, you're right that in the grand scheme of things it's a silly thing to get riled up about. We've just been beaten down as a city all season about this, and it strikes a nerve. Thank you again for sharing.

WHAT Bleachers, it's the same seating as every other facility, just as the CCCC has essentially renovated the arena, R.I.C.H. between both All Star Classics, for those that were there in 2003, remember the audio dying inside the arena, where all you could hear was the fans, and occassionally a ref's whistle....

Portland's Expo is much, like a basketball cage, that you'd find at any HS/College gym, the Colisee isn't like the Expo at all, although the only similarity is age of the facility.

but if Thompson's Point goes forward and is built, you won't have to worry about the revenue sharing fiasco you saw here the last 18 months

Have you been inside the Portland Expo Center before, Hutch? I was there recently. There ARE bleacher seats in that arena, and they are unstable and shaky. Wildcat gave a description on what the Colisee in Lewiston is like, and he says the arena is more suitable for high school and junior pro hockey than AHL hockey. I was comparing Wildcat's observations on the Colisee to my observations on the Portland Expo Center. They both make better high school sports facilities than pro sports facilities.

WHAT Bleachers, it's the same seating as every other facility, just as the CCCC has essentially renovated the arena, R.I.C.H. between both All Star Classics, for those that were there in 2003, remember the audio dying inside the arena, where all you could hear was the fans, and occassionally a ref's whistle....

but if Thompson's Point goes forward and is built, you won't have to worry about the revenue sharing fiasco you saw here the last 18 months

Have you been inside the Portland Expo Center before, Hutch? I was there recently. There ARE bleacher seats in that arena, and they are unstable and shaky. Wildcat gave a description on what the Colisee in Lewiston is like, and he says the arena is more suitable for high school and junior pro hockey than AHL hockey. I was comparing Wildcat's observations on the Colisee to my observations on the Portland Expo Center. They both make better high school sports facilities than pro sports facilities.

yes, the Expo is a high school facility, R.I.C.H.  but is substandard in comparison to any other cage, it's quite unfair to label or compare the Expo because it's not a hockey facility.

Looking at the photos and video, it certainly looks like an improvement.  Parts of it kind of look like the inside of a hotel, and the concourse does look bigger and brighter.

figured i'd recycle:

I am going to get tickets for the Providence game in Lewiston on a Friday in March.  

What end would the Bruins shoot twice on?

Thank you.

The visitors shoot twice at the opposite end of the arena from the entrance. Not sure what sections those are without looking at a map. Yes, I am that lazy...

figured i'd recycle:

I am going to get tickets for the Providence game in Lewiston on a Friday in March.  

Thank you.

Visitors shoot twice at Section 21.

figured i'd recycle:

Thank you.

Visitors shoot twice at Section 21.

You should easily be able to get tickets for the game, especially in that side of the building.