Sign in to follow this  
HBearfan21

New Rule Changes for next season

If I were a head coach...

...against a division opponent I'm using a true defensive defenseman, a puck moving defenseman, and a forward. If I have a good defensive forward I might use him in place of the PMD.

...against everyone else I'm using two forwards and a puck moving defenseman.

And that's where I think you'll see the coaches try to defensively plan for the 3-on-3 part of overtime (if possible) - figuring if they run two defensemen and a center, one defenseman and two forwards, or even going with three forwards.

However Wildcat and I talked about the personnel thought process and he brought up a situation that might get some thought from the coach; what do you do if you're running just one center and he should find himself getting thrown out of the faceoff circle. Now you've got a defenseman that'll have to take a faceoff. Could make for an interesting series of events if the faceoff is held in that team's defensive zone.

Then again, I'm of the mindset that coaches may try to encourage his team to continue playing four-on-four as long as possible. I know it's not always possible to play four additional minutes of overtime without stoppages or whistles. But if a coach can minimize the three-on-three to, say, just a minute or less... Just throwing that out there.

I love switching sides for OT. But that's mostly because I sit behind the defensive goal. I've seen far more games than I care to remember end in OT badly with a goal right in front of my seat. It'll be nice to see an OT game end well by having the winning goal go in right in front of me instead of 200 feet away for a change!

As for the 4 on 4 then switch to 3 on 3, remember the AHL is a developmental and experimental league. The NHL tests every rules change here first. The NHL probably isn't looking to do this mid OT change from 4 to 3 thing. But they will be able to look at stats after a year and see if more OT's are decided during the 4 on 4 or during the 3 on 3 and then use that data to see how they want to make a change in the NHL. If 75% of OT games are decided during 3 on 3 the NHL might for with a 7 minute 3 on 3 next year. If 5% of games are decided during 3 on 3 they might drop the idea altogether.

It's funny that Andrews says the AHL made these changes on it's own. Funny in a "Do you think we are stupid" kind of way that is. Sure, AHL officials made all the changes, but many AHL officials are also NHL officials. I don't know why he can't just say "Hey, we're trying out some funky stuff to see what's cool and what's not for the NHL". That's what's going on. It's not a bad thing. It's innovative and fun. Why not embrace it?

I like all three rules.

Especially the helmet rule...

but then when I have my own international sport, if a player exits the ice leaving a helmet, glove, or perfectly good stick, then if the puck hits it, it would be a too-many-men-(and-their-equipment) penalty.  I am sick of players placing their stick strategically along the boards in our defensive end or between the faceoff circles and the net and then skating off.

Last year an opposing goalie kept knocking the net off the pegs, then said it was a defective net.  Bogus!  I have seen helmets coming off too easily during regular play without a hit to the head or even a particularly hard body hit.  I cannot imagine how annoying wearing a helmet must be; but it is the requirement, so strap it up so that it stays on OR TAKE THE PENALTY.

AND

In 4v4 OT, I would have a player leave the ice whether there is a stoppage in play or not.

(No, I have not worked out the logictics of that maneuver...air horn maybe)

In 3v3 OT, when there is a penalty, then sorry, Chump, it goes to 3v2.  No tired players or empty ice excuses.

In the less than 10% that does not like the fighting.  So anything that gets it off the ice is good.  If some players decide to play even dirtier to make up for it, there should be stronger penalties for potentially major injury causing actions.

but then when I have my own international sport, if a player exits the ice leaving a helmet, glove, or perfectly good stick, then if the puck hits it, it would be a too-many-men-(and-their-equipment) penalty.  I am sick of players placing their stick strategically along the boards in our defensive end or between the faceoff circles and the net and then skating off.

Player are required by the rules to drop their broken sticks as soon as they discover it's broken. Failure to do so is a penalty, which is why you occasionally see players skating off that see their stick is broken dropping them before reaching the bench. I cannot remember ever seeing a player intentionally drop a stick that wasn't broken, nor can I recall seeing an uninjured player ever leave a glove or helmet behind.

Player are required by the rules to drop their broken sticks as soon as they discover it's broken. Failure to do so is a penalty, which is why you occasionally see players skating off that see their stick is broken dropping them before reaching the bench. I cannot remember ever seeing a player intentionally drop a stick that wasn't broken, nor can I recall seeing an uninjured player ever leave a glove or helmet behind.

I've seen helmets left behind more than a few times. It doesn't happen often but I've definitely seen that. It stands out because it looks like you are watching 1970's footage. I know I've seen a guy lose a glove and leave it behind on his way back to the bench, but I don't think I've ever seen a guy play for an extended period without a glove. That's just begging for a broken hard.

As for dropping an unbroken stick, that has probably never happened on purpose in the history of hockey. There's just no reason to do it. It's basically putting your team on a penalty kill by taking your stick off the ice.

re: broken sticks

some players may not realize their sticks were broken, hence the judgment call and the 2 minute minor for playing with a broken stick, but how rare is it that tht rule is actually listed and/or enforced in any given game.

some players may not realize their sticks were broken, hence the judgment call and the 2 minute minor for playing with a broken stick, but how rare is it that tht rule is actually listed and/or enforced in any given game.

It's not a judgment call, it's a penalty even if the player has no idea his stick is broken...and it's hardly ever called because it hardly ever happens.

It's not a judgment call, it's a penalty even if the player has no idea his stick is broken...and it's hardly ever called because it hardly ever happens.

And it hardly ever happens because it's easy to tell if a stick is broken so players immediately drop them and go get a new one or get off the ice. Especially if it's broken enough that a referee might notice it and assess a penalty. It's one of those common sense rules.

Skating with a broken stick could get someone killed, most likely the guy holding it, so no one does it.

The minor penalty is on the rule books for the random dunderhead who's too stupid to 1) want to live without severe injury and 2) realize that playing with a broken stick is pointless.

No one wants this to happen to them...

nicklas-backstrom-splinter-geico.jpg

(Hysterical commercial during Capitals games, by the way. The player walks into the trainer's office saying he has 'a splinter'.)

While on the subject of sticks, I don't recall a stick measurement in a game for a long time.

It's another one of those things where it's too easy to prove you are out of compliance. There is a measurement device at the scoring table that is not disputable.

Having an extra 0.25 inch length or width on a stick blade or extra curve that isn't enough to be obviously noticed isn't going to make enough of a difference that it's worth getting caught and taking the penalty. 1% chance that extra size helps you score a goal. 30% chance you give up a goal during the penalty kill when you get caught. Simple math.

Everyone knows the rule is easily enforced so no one tries to mess with it.

I wonder if it's the opposite...that because everyone is breaking the stick measurement rules no one wants to say anything because it will come back to haunt them.

I wonder if it's the opposite...that because everyone is breaking the stick measurement rules no one wants to say anything because it will come back to haunt them.

:huh:

Hmmm.....

You know....that's not a scenario that's without precedent.

It's like when the Red Sox called out that Yankees pitcher for putting pine tar on his face earlier this year. The Red Sox were basically like "Yeah...we didn't want to say anything when he was doing a better job of hiding it because it's not like we're 100% innocent...he just took it too far when he smeared it all over his face"

I can remember one guy getting called on the broken stick rule. I started going to hockey games in 1964.

I do see players leaning on their sticks fairly often, like after deflecting a shot and they are lining up for a faceoff in the defensive zone.

This season's Lady Bing winner, Ryan O'Reilly, was called for one penalty this season...for, you guessed it, playing with a broken stick.

I saw a guy pegged for playing with a broken stick once.

The rule was correctly applied as written.

But the reality was that he cracked the stick so it wasn't in 2 full peices, and he looked at it while taking 2 steps before dropping it. He didn't drop it 'immediately after the breakage' as the rule demands. He stopped to check it first and was called for it.

That's the only time I remember the rule being called.

Edited by Skipjacks

I saw a guy pegged for playing with a broken stick once.

The rule was correctly applied as written.

But the reality was that he cracked the stick so it wasn't in 2 full peices, and he looked at it while taking 2 steps before dropping it. He didn't drop it 'immediately after the breakage' as the rule demands. He stopped to check it first and was called for it.

That's the only time I remember the rule being called.

That's basically what O'Reilly was called for...his stick broke and while holding on to it kicked the puck to a teammate.

Re: broken sticks:  I remember seeing two such penalties in the new arena.

AND one penalty for a guy playing with two sticks.  A guy who had had his stick knocked out of his hands left the ice.  Another player who likely intended to leave the ice picked it up but when the play abruptly came back towards him, he continued to hold onto the second stick.  OOPS!!!

But I was not talking about broken sticks, as the "perfectly good stick" should have hinted.

Several times in the last few years, I have seen guys who were leaving the ice for a change-over place the stick on the ice, not drop the stick.  Later, the linesman returns the stick to the player and he returns to the ice with it on his next shift.

I have seen more helmets abandoned than gloves, but it happens.  Especially in a close game where a guy leaves the bench and the glove-lost guy he is replacing is not anywhere near the bench.

I vaguely remember a measurement.  The team called for a measurement but the stick was legal, so the ref (or whoever) measured the other guy's stick and it was not legal, so the team that was calling foul was the one penalized.

Several times in the last few years, I have seen guys who were leaving the ice for a change-over place the stick on the ice, not drop the stick.  Later, the linesman returns the stick to the player and he returns to the ice with it on his next shift.

All I can say is that not once in all the years I've been watching hockey have I ever seen a player do that.

Edited by 210

I vaguely remember a measurement.  The team called for a measurement but the stick was legal, so the ref (or whoever) measured the other guy's stick and it was not legal, so the team that was calling foul was the one penalized.

The penalty for challenging a legal stick is a bench minor for delay of game...so in your example the team would have then been down two skaters, one for delaying the game and one for using an illegal stick.

I didn't remember the penalty, just that it backfired.  But that is interesting.  You had better be SURE of your accusation and darned sure that you are NOT illegal before pointing the finger.

I didn't remember the penalty, just that it backfired. But that is interesting. You had better be SURE of your accusation and darned sure that you are NOT illegal before pointing the finger.

I think I vaguely remember this being an Icecats vs Lockmonsters at the Tsongas game back in 02 or 03.

Just gonna say this once, as I said on this week's show: Anything past regulation is just a gimmick.

And Dave Andrews saying they did this on their own with no influence from the NHL is well....not true.