Sign in to follow this  
HansH

How many games? (2015-16 season)

I actually don't think it's nearly as bad as it sounds. (And yes, I admit that it sounds terrible.) Here's the thing: the AHL's schedule is woefully unbalanced anyway. Some teams already end up with far easier roads to the playoffs than others, either through scheduling or divisional alignments. Considering that no two teams are really on equal footing already, I don't see this making things much worse.

Depending on how they end up scheduling, they might even be able to spin this into something relatively positive. Given the isolation of the Pacific division teams, there seems to be the possibility to Pacific teams' schedules balanced within the division. If the league can do that, then we'll have an "undisputed champ" of the Pacific division, which is more than you can say about most of the rest of the league. Given the shorter schedule, I'd say that the Pacific should get fewer playoff spots, but given the balance, the spots they get should be higher-quality. At the end, you end up with higher-quality, but less tested team representing the Pacific in the playoffs, which should even out.

I can buy into the argument that some teams have an easier route to the playoffs because their division is weaker.  That is inevitable in every sport, but the one thing.... even if the games are easier... they're the same number of games.  If the teams in the Pacific Division are only going to play each other, which I think is stupid (get on a damn plane and do a multigame road trip outside the damn state), then they play each team 18 times (in a 72 game season).  If I have to see the Reign, and the Condorks 9 times here in San Diego, so be it.  That is what I'm down for.  I'm not down for a division that plays fewer games than their potential opponents in the finals. 

The NHL parent teams want to whine about the distance?  Give the Alaska Aces a call.  They've been doing it for years on double-A money. 

I shot an email off to the Ducks season ticket person and expressed my feelings.  I'm not paying to watch a potential "Pacific Division champion".  But I'll damn sure shell out to watch a potential AHL champion.

Edited by ChickenSuitCharlie

I talked to my season ticket rep on Monday and he told me that our season ticket plan for 15-16 is for 38 home games. His boss (who represented the Griffins in the board of governors meeting in Utica at the All-Star Game), said that the request by the Pacific Division teams to reduce the schedule from 76 games to 68 games, was taken to a vote and was rejected big time. My ticket rep also said that the Pacific Division teams might try to take a revote on the number of games for next season at the meeting in May in Chicago.

The Pacific Division teams may be wanting to have 68 games on the schedule rather than 76 games, but from what I'm hearing is that, at least for the 15-16 season, it will end up being a 76 game schedule. I highly doubt that it will end up being Pacific 68 games & the rest at 76 games. The AHL went over backwards to make these NHL west teams happy to get their AHL affiliates under one division so quickly, so they should be happy with that. Worry about the number of games later.

I sure do hope that the Pac-5 play the same number of games as the rest of the league.  But if they don't, I'll be getting my season ticket deposit back.  I'll be :curse: about it but I'll have an extra credit card payment that I can make.

Has anyone else found anything concrete about this, or are they just thinking they'll spring it on the fans in August as a fait accompli?

Has anyone else found anything concrete about this, or are they just thinking they'll spring it on the fans in August as a fait accompli?

I can't find the email that I got back when this discussion started but it was from someone in the Ducks organization.  Apparently the West Coast teams will be playing fewer games than the other teams in the league. 

I pulled this from the Condor's ticket information. "In 2015-16, the Condors will play 34 regular season home games at Rabobank Arena." So, unless the home/away schedule will not be even, it appears that currently the west coast teams will be playing a 68 game schedule.

I was checking out other teams websites and on the Binghamton Senators website it says they're playing 37 home games which would be a 74 game schedule. 

So, unless something changes, the lefties will be playing 6 games fewer than the righties.

*Update*  This from the Hershey Bears website: "Full Season (38 Game Plan)"

The mystery continues.......

So new AHL division alignment came out yesterday, they are returning to a 4 division setup, which I find a bit surprising, mostly because this means the California teams are not their own division, having to join the two Texas teams.

I wonder if this throws some cold water on the notion that the California teams are going to get to play a different schedule?  Which no one in this thread seems to like.

http://theahl.com/ahl-announces-alignment-for-2015-16-p197883

Would there be a possibility that the new California teams play a few games in their NHL parent rinks? That could solve the issue of six less games on some teams home schedules. Phantoms played games in Philly, Bingo in Ottawa, and Hamilton in Montreal.

Would there be a possibility that the new California teams play a few games in their NHL parent rinks? That could solve the issue of six less games on some teams home schedules. Phantoms played games in Philly, Bingo in Ottawa, and Hamilton in Montreal.

Well, San Jose is already playing there and I'm not sure how you could squeeze any more events in the Staples Center...seems unlikely to me.

And Andrews HAS confirmed the idiotic "different number of games" setup.  *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index.ssf/2015/05/ahl_president_says_original_realignment_didnt_include_all_nys_teams_together.html

In other news, Andrews said the five new California-based teams in the Pacific Division will all play the same number of games as each other, but it will be a total fewer than the other 25 teams in the AHL play.

Andrews did not reveal specific numbers, but Dolgon has already said the Crunch will stay at 76 games this season. That would mean the other 24-non California teams will play 76 as well.

The sticking point is that there are two other Pacific teams, Texas and San Antonio, that will play more games than their five California division rivals. That could require the AHL to use points percentage instead of total points as the playoff seeding method there.

Just unbelievably unprofessional. I can't understand how the other 25 teams are allowing this at all.

It was either that or the AHL West was forming their own league...and seeing as I expect them to do that anyway (as early as 16-17 too) the rest of the AHL should have told them to go pound sand.

HOW would/can you revoke a league membership outside of violating a league bylaw, and honestly the California franchises won't survive a withdrawal because less than 6 teams is what typically caused the "expansion" from 21 to 27 TO BEGIN WITH....

IF THEY DO form another league, then how would former members Norfolk and Manchester be perceived since both franchises are owned by 2 members of the California 5, even though 1 is a leased franchise.

HOW would/can you revoke a league membership outside of violating a league bylaw, and honestly the California franchises won't survive a withdrawal because less than 6 teams is what typically caused the "expansion" from 21 to 27 TO BEGIN WITH....

IF THEY DO form another league, then how would former members Norfolk and Manchester be perceived since both franchises are owned by 2 members of the California 5, even though 1 is a leased franchise.

Is this in English?

This is what's bothering me about this league now. I really don't think the AHL is really ready to expand that far into the West Coast like that. It's biting off more than they can chew. I would hope this experiment would succeed. It would be great to see the AHL make progress with these teams in California, but I'm gonna play the pessimist card on this one.

Edited by R.I.C.H.

As we have seen these past few months, the Board of Governors can and will do whatever the h-e-double hockey sticks they want.

The IHL did not fail because it did not have enough teams. It failed because it abandoned its roots as a regional minor league and tried to operate from coast to coast. (Sound familiar?) What caused the AHL's "expansion" from 20 (not 21) to 27 was, as it is now, the BoG and Andrews opting for growth regardless of the side effects. (The I-6 plus Bridgeport and Manchester minus Louisville.)

Same as they are now, I'd imagine.

And Andrews HAS confirmed the idiotic "different number of games" setup.  *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index.ssf/2015/05/ahl_president_says_original_realignment_didnt_include_all_nys_teams_together.html

In other news, Andrews said the five new California-based teams in the Pacific Division will all play the same number of games as each other, but it will be a total fewer than the other 25 teams in the AHL play.

Andrews did not reveal specific numbers, but Dolgon has already said the Crunch will stay at 76 games this season. That would mean the other 24-non California teams will play 76 as well.

The sticking point is that there are two other Pacific teams, Texas and San Antonio, that will play more games than their five California division rivals. That could require the AHL to use points percentage instead of total points as the playoff seeding method there.

Just unbelievably unprofessional. I can't understand how the other 25 teams are allowing this at all.

This is disappointing, maybe the AHL should still stick to total points as the playoff criteria and if you only play 68 games, that's too bad!

The good news I see is that if the playoff races are division based instead of conference based, then only one division of four is going to have this clusterschtupp.

So just to put this in some perspective, it's really only the two Texas teams that are going to be hurt the most from a competitive standpoint, but it's not going to make that much difference to the other 23 teams in the league, except perhaps a California team would have an advantage in the Western Conference Final or Calder Cup Final.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's bad for the Texas teams, and if they knew the California teams were going to stick to this schedule with the Texas teams sticking to 76, I would've suggested the Texas teams be added to the Central to form a 10-team division that gets 6 playoff spots.  Leaving just two spots for the mini-schedule division.

But back on the outline that Andrews is pointing out, I hope the AHL does this for only one year, realizes it's still dumb and compromises on a number like 72 games and we agree to act like the 15-16 season never happened :).

Edited by sotsohockey

Ridiculous and really makes the AHL look bush league. Only teams that play a full season should be eligible for the playoffs...since I know that's not going to happen I do like the idea of keeping the playoffs total points still. Don't change it to percentages for these fools. They should be happy with more rest and practice time in the spring, who wants those pesky games ruining everything anyway? 

As everyone has mentioned, the rumor on the street is that the entire California teams will play 68...Texas and San Antonio will play the full 76. A shame they California teams can't play the remaining 8 games against one and another.

If the teams in California can't play any more than 68 games each, why not the rest of the league's teams play no more than 68 games each as well to even out the number of games for each team in the league?

If the teams in California can't play any more than 68 games each, why not the rest of the league's teams play no more than 68 games each as well to even out the number of games for each team in the league?

There's still a lot of non-NHL owners that make their money of of ticket sales. There's no way they'd give up a chunk of their profits like that.

There's still a lot of non-NHL owners that make their money of of ticket sales. There's no way they'd give up a chunk of their profits like that.

it still doesn't make the league look professional with some teams not playing the same amount of games as other teams.

it still doesn't make the league look professional with some teams not playing the same amount of games as other teams.

The AHL West teams don't care if the AHL looks professional or not...

It's either this or those West Coast teams break off to make their own league which is something many feel is already going to happen in the next couple of years anyways.

My own hunch is that Dave Andrews is trying to hold on to the west coast teams untill the NHL expands with Vegas, Seattle, and/or Portland Oregon then with enough of their affiliates out west the teams will become their own league still under the control of the AHL organisation as a whole rather than let them go rogue.

No chance of that. The AHL West teams want to play by their own rules out there and that's going to eventually end the AHL as we know it. I'm predicting 17-18 for the new league to be formed.