Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

#AHLFanFridays Feature

fanfridays_920.jpg

Beginning on July 24th and running each Friday until #AHLOpeningNight on Friday, Oct. 9, one lucky fan will be featured across the AHL’s social and digital platforms.

Dubbed #AHLFanFridays, fans looking to enter should email contests@theahl.com with photos of themselves in AHL gear, as well as a brief description entailing one or more of the following:

• How excited you are for the upcoming season
• What being an AHL fan means to you
• How you feel being a part of the league’s 80th anniversary celebration in 2015-16
• Why you are your team’s biggest fan ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/ahl-fan-fridays-p198782

#AHLFanFridays Week 1: Jack Kabela

July 24, 2015

Our first #AHLFanFridays winner is five-year-old Jack Kabela, a big-time Chicago Wolves fan who was born with hip dysplasia. In February of 2014, the Wolves chose Jack as part of their Wolves Wish program, giving him the ultimate wish day experience. Jack was nominated by his mother, Gwen.

The whole Chicago Wolves organization is something truly special to us. Courtney [Mahoney, senior vice president of operations], Skates, and everyone treat Jack like a little king and I'm sure he's not the only kid (or big kid) they have made feel truly special. Every summer there's a bit of excitement missing as we wait for Skates to be back from vacation (that's how I explained the offseason when Jack was smaller). ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-week-1-jack-kabela-p198836

#AHLFanFridays Week 2: Nina Weiss July 31, 2015

Our second #AHLFanFridays winner is Nina Weiss, a huge Lehigh Valley Phantoms fan who saw her life change when the team came to Allentown to begin play in the 2014-15 American Hockey League season.

Last season was the Phantoms' first in Lehigh Valley. Being a hockey family (kid plays, dad plays, backyard rink, parents are board members of youth and scholastic teams and leagues, etc), we were one of the first on the list for season tickets and waited not so patiently as the arena was built and the team came together. We started the season with two season tickets and ended it with four, so it's safe to say I fell in love with the Phantoms and even the League itself. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-week-2-nina-weiss-p198927

#AHLFanFridays Week 3: Mark & Erinn

August 7, 2015

Our third #AHLFanFridays winners are Mark Harrill and Erinn Hughes, two of the most dedicated Texas Stars fans in the team's fanbase who travel all over the country to cheer on their team, win or lose.

We are possibly the biggest Texas Stars fans. We were two of five Texas/Dallas Stars fans that made the trip to St. John's for the Calder Cup Finals in 2014. We bought our tickets on Friday night for a flight on Sunday morning so we could make games 4 and 5. We were lucky enough to be there to see Nemeth's Cup-winning goal and celebrate with our team. We used the picture of us behind the bench as our Christmas card this past holiday season!

Before Houston moved to Des Moines, we had seen our Stars play at every arena in the AHL's Western Conference. We've now traveled from Cedar Park to Abbotsford, B.C., St. John's, N.L., Charlotte, and San Antonio, and many points in between to see our Stars play. Not only do we hold season tickets at the Cedar Park Center, we buy a package in San Antonio every season and have seen nearly every game played between the Stars and Rampage in the last five seasons. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-week-3-mark-erinn-p199010

Edited by JMC-STL

Uuum, no.  I just thought since this is AHLFans.net, this particular feature series might be of general interest to the Board membership.  When I get a cease & desist order from the Bots Union, I will certainly reconsider.

Feel free to keep posting whatever you want...I was just wondering because everything you've posted, excluding your proposed book swap that seems to have little interest, has either been a press release, news link, or flat out wrong.

I actually thought this would be a good idea as well. You never know when there may be a unbiased view shared since it seems as though these folks write their own articles.

#AHLFanFridays Week 4: Brenda Mathewson
August 14, 2015

Our fourth #AHLFanFridays winner is Brenda Mathewson, a Hartford Wolf Pack fan who has supported the team since 1997.

I remember being excited for the first season of Wolf Pack hockey in Hartford in 1997. The AHL reached out to some of the downtown business community for support for the new team. The summer before the start of the season, it was talked about a lot around the office. My family and I started going that first season, and I am as enthusiastic now in 2015 as I was then.

We’ve been to a lot of games over the past 18 years, brought our daughter and nephew and their little friends, collected our share of mini sticks, bobble heads and stuffed Sonars. We have also collected our share of great memories as well, most recently the thrilling run for the Eastern Conference Finals the guys made this year, even following them up to Worcester for the home games that were displaced from the XL Center in May. ...

#AHLFanFridays Week 5: Justin Kanter
August 21, 2015

Our fifth #AHLFanFridays winner is Justin Kanter, a Milwaukee Admirals fan through thick and thin, and from across the country.

With the fourth logo in my personal lifetime now upon us, I can honestly say I am more excited for this upcoming season than I have ever been. With a youthful team and a such a dangerous new crest on our sweaters, the Milwaukee Admirals are going to be a serious threat to this league.

To me, the AHL is a family. My Admirals are a family. The kids come in, begin to mature here, and graduate to the pros. Milwaukee is such a great place to be from. The development we offer here, the love the city provides and the intensity the fans bring, I couldn't imagine rooting for any other squad. ...

#AHLFanFridays Week 6: The Feldmans

August 28, 2015

This week's #AHLFanFridays winners are the Feldman family, nominated by their father, Eric. "Self-professed hockey nuts," the Feldmans are long-time Charlotte Checkers fans who cannot wait for the team's welcomed return to the historic Bojangles' Coliseum this fall.

Our family is extremely excited for the upcoming season. As a family of self-professed hockey nuts, we have been long time supporters of the Carolina Hurricanes organization and the Charlotte Checkers. This year especially we are very excited as the Charlotte Checkers return “home” to the arena where they first played in 1956. We were not a part of the games back in those days, but at the time the arena made national news.

With major renovations and updates occurring we are counting the days down to their first home game on November 7th. Having been mostly NHL fans until a relocation to the Charlotte area, we are amazed at the dedication, professionalism and approachability of the AHL and its players and staff. ...

#AHLFanFridays Week 7: Courtney Sult

September 11, 2015

This week's #AHLFanFridays winner is Courtney Sult, a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins fan since she was five years old.

I've been counting down the days until opening night since the final buzzer sounded and we were eliminated from the playoffs. I say "we" because this team, this sport is my life. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-week-7-courtney-sult-p199422

#AHLFanFridays Week 8: Connor Abbot
September 18, 2015

This week's #AHLFanFridays winner is Connor Abbot, a diehard Bridgeport Sound Tigers fan who has stuck with the team through good seasons and bad.

I am extremely excited for the upcoming season, I have an app on my phone telling me how many days are left until the start of the season!

Being an AHL fan means the world to me because it's small town hockey and when you go to the games it feels like everyone knows each other and we all have our love for the AHL and our teams to bond over. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-week-8-connor-abbot-p199508

#AHLFanFridays: Aaron Szawielenko
September 25, 2015

This week's #AHLFanFridays winner is Aaron Szawielenko, a longtime hockey fan who has grown up with each version of the San Diego Gulls and cannot wait for the AHL's 80th campaign to begin to create new memories.

I couldn't be more ecstatic about the Gulls being back in San Diego. I used to go to games with my dad as a kid and now soon enough will get to take my son, Robert, to Gulls games. He gets to grow up going to hockey games regularly now. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-aaron-szawielenko-p199587

#AHLFanFridays: Jimmy Murphy

October 2, 2015

This week's #AHLFanFridays winner is Jimmy Murphy. Nominated by his father, Scott, Jimmy is a passionate Albany Devils fan.

My son Jimmy Murphy is 6 years old and an avid Albany Devils fan. Me and my wife have had season tickets in Albany since 1997. We are all excited about the upcoming season. But he is more excited than us. All he lives for is his Albany Devils hockey. When it's the off-season all he talks about is hockey - how much he loves it (and) how much he misses it.

Being an AHL fan means the world to him. Getting to get up close and personal with his favorite players before they are big stars. But to him they are already big stars. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/-ahlfanfridays-jimmy-murphy-p199678