Sign in to follow this  
RowdyFan42

Travel alert: Albany

The Times Union Center has changed its security procedures in response to the recent terrorist attacks all over the world.  Starting with tomorrow's Siena/UAlbany basketball games (so this will not be in effect for tonight's game against Syracuse), fans will have to enter the arena through metal detectors and may be subject to pat-downs if necessary.  (The press release describes this as "similar to procedures used at the airport".)  Also, cameras have been banned (update: but not at Devils games) (although cell phones are still allowed), as are large bags (over 13 5/8" x 15 1/4").

Since the first Devils game under the new rules won't be until the day after Christmas, hopefully they'll have worked out any kinks by then, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Press release: post-1-0-39540000-1449863179_thumb.jpg

Edited by RowdyFan42

I assume that this is because Albany is the state capitol.

I remember that there was a Taliban cell in Buffalo a number of years ago. My wife, who is from Jamestown, NY, thought that they couldn't have picked a worse place to try and blend in!

Do people in the state of NY expect another attack?

While security does want you to open your coat or look in your handbag at the BMOHBC, they don't wand you for Admirals games. Maybe the attendance is too low to justify it.

I don't think they're expecting another attack so much as they're using the "threat" of terrorism as an excuse to get all nanny-state on us. You'll notice in the press release that these changes are mainly at the behest of Live Nation. That makes sense, as the camera ban sounds like something that would come from a concert promoter. As usual, I expect the restrictions to fade away once things calm down; this wouldn't be the first time the TUC has broken out metal detectors and camera bans in tense times.

Add Providence to the list. They began metal detector sweeps Saturday before the PC Friars game and did so at the Bruins game yesterday. They do it right up at the lobby doors, so be prepared for possibly standing outside waiting for the crowd to thin.

They already have bag checks (and have for the last year since the Marathon bombing), so they are really ramping stuff up.

Our theory was because they are hosting the NCAA tournament 1st round, it may be preparation for that when March comes.

Edited by Section109

Update: A blurb posted on the Times Union's website states that cameras will be allowed at Devils games, although they are still banned from other TUC events.

Today, a 23 year old Palestinian man was arrested by the FBI in Milwaukee. He had purchased 2 machine guns from undercover FBI agents. He had planned to shoot up a Masonic Temple in the downtown area with two other people and hoped to kill at least 30 people. Note: There is a CNN story online as well as JSonline (the local newspaper).

The most disturbing part to me is that this man has lived here in the US for 6 years. He doesn't like the government in this country. He is very angry about what is happening in his homeland and blames US support for Israel for the problems. My wife works a few blocks away from the target. Maybe we do need more security in the US.

My wife & I attended a Comets @ Devils game earlier this month, and the "security screening" at Times Union was the most lax I've seen anywhere.  We walked up the non-functional escalator from the Pearl Street entrance & entered on the concourse level.  As I approached the old-style walk-through X-ray machine, the screener told me: "If you have anything metal in your pockets, just put it in your hands and hold them over your head as you walk through."  Then he paid no attention to me after I exited.  Not sure why they bother, or why the League isn't auditing their team sites to make sure the screening is consistent.

I just came back from vacation in Nashville. The Bridgestone Arena has metal detectors like an airport and also has the portable wands for follow up. All of the fans go through them.

If you try and get into the Pro Shop 90 minutes before game time to buy a jersey or hat, you go through a metal detector on the way into it. 

My wife & I attended a Comets @ Devils game earlier this month, and the "security screening" at Times Union was the most lax I've seen anywhere.  We walked up the non-functional escalator from the Pearl Street entrance & entered on the concourse level.  As I approached the old-style walk-through X-ray machine, the screener told me: "If you have anything metal in your pockets, just put it in your hands and hold them over your head as you walk through."  Then he paid no attention to me after I exited.  Not sure why they bother, or why the League isn't auditing their team sites to make sure the screening is consistent.

I'm not sure if the league has any standards when it comes to screening at the entrances.  (I was going to say simply "security", but surely they have some standards when it comes to security overall.)  Since this was done at the request/demand(?) of Live Nation, I would assume the screening is at "security theater" levels when it comes to concerts.  (I couldn't tell you; I don't remember the last time I attended a concert at the TU Center.)  For other events, they probably figure a rudimentary pass through the metal detectors is sufficient.  It's enough to catch most legitimate weapons, but it doesn't rise to the level of "harass and inconvenience everyone to make the paranoid few feel safe".

I went to the Dunkin' Donuts Center last month to see the P-Bruins.  If it wasn't for this security policy, I'd bring my backpack, mainly because I wanted to bring a change of clothes with me, in case I became really sweaty. (I was at a trampoline park a few towns away, earlier that day.  Because I didn't bring a change of clothes there, I took it easy on my trampoline workout there.)

They had metal detectors at this year's Anime Boston at the Hynes Convention Center as well.  I don't remember them having metal detectors in prior years I was there. (My memory could be rusty on this.)  Security's gotten more common everywhere these days.