Sign in to follow this  
Section109

Portland moving to Springfield for 2016-17

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/04/portland-pirates-leaving-maine/

Wow.

The Portland Pirates are leaving Maine after 23 seasons.

Mitch Berkowitz, chair of the board of trustees for county-owned Cross Insurance Arena, confirmed Wednesday afternoon that “the Pirates will be headed to Springfield” Massachusetts, but that he did not know further details.

He said an executive session of the board is scheduled for Thursday morning.

“I have been informed that a broad-based local investor group has signed a letter of intent to purchase the Portland Pirates,” Springfield Mayor Dominic J. Sarno said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. “While we understand there are still some hurdles to overcome, we are encouraged by this news and hopeful that professional hockey will be back in Springfield this upcoming season.”

Edited by Section109

Wow is right.

And we thought the Pirates were fairly secure due to Cain's ownership.  Turns out he was losing too much money.  I wonder just how badly the year in Lewiston affected the Pirates' affairs.

This is a real slap in the face to Pirates fans. I feel horrible for them now. I hope professional hockey returns to Portland, whether it's AHL, ECHL, or some other pro league. I especially always enjoy going to Portland, one of the best AHL cities I've been to.

Indeed, Scott Prue of Biddeford was in the Pirates’ office at 4 p.m. to pick up a jersey won by his son in a raffle and to renew three season tickets. Ben Locke, director of ticket operations, was helping Prue with the transaction when an associate called Locke to a back room.

“Two minutes later, he came back and said he was sorry, but apparently the team was moving to Springfield and that I had to leave the office,” Prue said. “As I was leaving, I had to unlock the front door because they had locked it.”

Locke “looked teary-eyed and upset,” Prue said. “It’s very disappointing. I’m completely shocked. It seemed like the Pirates staff was shocked as well. I don’t think any of them knew, either.”

Wow.

I saw the second to last game of the Skipjacks (Last home game) when they pummeled the Rangers in game 6 of the opening round of the 1993 playoffs. It tore my heart out when they moved for Portland after that season to become the Pirates.

I hated Portland for a long time because of that. (Like it was somehow Portland's fault that the attendance at a Skipjacks' home game was usually me, my dad, and like only 6 other people, including the goal judges)

Then this week I saw the Pirates' final game ever in Hershey. Strange how stuff like that happens.

Wow.

The Portland Pirates are leaving Maine after 23 seasons.

Mitch Berkowitz, chair of the board of trustees for county-owned Cross Insurance Arena, confirmed Wednesday afternoon that “the Pirates will be headed to Springfield” Massachusetts, but that he did not know further details.

He said an executive session of the board is scheduled for Thursday morning.

“I have been informed that a broad-based local investor group has signed a letter of intent to purchase the Portland Pirates,” Springfield Mayor Dominic J. Sarno said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. “While we understand there are still some hurdles to overcome, we are encouraged by this news and hopeful that professional hockey will be back in Springfield this upcoming season.”

I'm with you here, I'm in disbelief over this happening so suddenly as it has...my heart goes out to all of the Portland fans right about now...it really does...and I really do hope and pray that hockey DOES return to Portland, no matter who it is or what league it is...the fans up there IMHO deserve a lot better than this, I'm sorry... :(

What kind of world is it where I live in an AHL city, and Hutch doesn't...

A world where most of the people who used frequent this board have lost their teams so you'll be pretty much talking to yourself. I hope you enjoy your precious western push as much I enjoyed watching the Gulls fall on their faces to Ontario. Now all we need is Lake Erie or Grand Rapids to lay the lumber on the Reign and all will be right with the world.

I knew the day was coming eventually but I felt pretty safe for a couple years with the lease and affiliation agreements in place and attendance slowly (too slowly obviously) going up. I found out on Facebook. 100% thought it was some idiot posting an old April fools joke or an article from a few years ago when Petrovek was threatening to move them to Albany. So it was quite a shock having not even heard a single rumor about this. 

I'm 33 years old, I've been following the team since I was 10. I remember my father and I finding a place in town that was able to get the '96 final over the AM radio and just listening in the car. The road trips to Saint John, a trip that was actually closer from my hometown than Portland. The fire alarm going off during a game in Portland and everyone having to evacuate as the play continued when they were playing who else, the Flames. 

Hell, my e-mail is pirate_fan39@hotmail.com. The 39 was for Mark Major...so that's a pretty old address. I've been to at least one AHL game every year of my life starting with the Adirondack Red Wings. I've got 100's of AHL pins in glass cases on my living room wall for defunct teams, as many current teams/logos as I could find, All Star logos, Calder Cup Championships, Anniversaries, etc Some acquired with the help of people on this board... I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of those now that my team is gone. They started as two pins on my Pirates Calder Cup Championship hat. 

I could go on forever and am probably rambling by now. My last game was my first time in one of the new suites...a 9-2 loss to Toronto. Kind of symbolizes what has happened to this league. The Pirates didn't belong on the same ice as the Marlies and Portland couldn't survive in a league with cities like Toronto. It's not nearly as bad as a pet passing away but it definitely isn't a fun feeling. Good luck to the rest of the AHL fans out there, enjoy your team while you can because you never know. Unless you're Hershey, you bastards are fine! Lower seed getting Game 7 at home...unreal. ;)