Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

Ontario's Father-Son Goalie Duo Makes History

History is made at Ontario Reign game with first-ever father-son goaltending duo

Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 6:22 pm | Updated: 8:27 pm, Sun Oct 23, 2016.

By SHEL SEGAL FontanaHeraldNews.com

ONTARIO -- History was made in the Ontario Reign's 5-4 overtime loss to the San Jose Barracuda on Oct. 22 at Citizens Business Bank Arena as the AHL's first-ever father-son goaltending duo took to the ice.

Twenty-two-year-old Jonah Imoo got the start in goal for the Reign, while his father, 46-year-old Dusty Imoo, backed him up.

The younger Imoo got the call -- his first since last Christmas -- as starting goaltender Jack Campbell was recalled that morning by the Los Angeles Kings.

The elder Imoo is the Kings development goaltending coach. He was added to the roster with a professional tryout agreement.

And while he got pegged with the loss, Jonah Imoo said he was just happy to be getting the chance to play.

"I've been waiting for this opportunity for a while," said Jonah Imoo, who hails from Surrey, British Columbia. "I've been working hard. But I had a lot of fun. It was a pretty intense game. I wouldn't have it any other way."

He added he loved having his father backing him up as it gave a sense of familiarity to being on the ice.

"As far as my dad being here, that is pretty hard to describe," he said. "That's the first time that has ever happened at this level. It was kind of a little more relaxing because he's my dad. He knows exactly what to say to me in every situation." ...

Read more at: http://www.fontanaheraldnews.com/sports/history-is-made-at-ontario-reign-game-with-first-ever/article_631ad552-9988-11e6-b794-0b65252ba1a8.html