Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

Roadrunners postpone games following player collapse

Roadrunners postpone more games following player collapse

Published: Monday, November 21st 2016, 2:15 pm CSTUpdated: Monday, November 21st 2016, 4:54 pm CST
By Tucson News Now Staff

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The AHL and Tucson Roadrunners have postponed two games set for this week out of respect to team captain Craig Cunningham, who collapsed Saturday night.

The team said games against the San Diego Gulls set for Tuesday and Wednesday will not be played. Make-up dates will be announced in the future.

The City of Tucson is advising those holding tickets to the postponed games keep them, stating they will be valid when the games are rescheduled.

"Craig remains in stable but critical condition at a local hospital," said Roadrunners general manager Doug Soetaert. "He is receiving excellent medical care but out of respect to Craig and his family we are refraining from further comment or discussing any details at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with Craig and his family."

Craig Cunningham collapsed during pregame warm-ups Saturday night, Nov. 19, and medical staff performed CPR on him on the ice before he was taken to a local hospital.

Read more at: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/33763450/roadrunners-player-remains-in-critical-condition-after-collapsing

Edited by JMC-STL

From: The Winnipeg (MB) Free Press > Sports > Hockey > Manitoba Moose

Player's collapse stuns Moose

Wishing Roadrunners captain speedy recovery

By: Mike McIntyre 
Posted: 11/21/2016 3:07 PM | Last Modified: 11/22/2016 11:45 AM

JC Lipon skated to centre ice, expecting to battle Craig Cunningham for positioning and puck possession off the opening faceoff.

Instead, the young Manitoba Moose forward watched as Cunningham collapsed in front of him, triggering a frantic scene Saturday night in Arizona that all who witnessed won’t easily forget. ...

"You didn’t really know what was going on, because it was just before the draw. I was out there lining up against him. I thought maybe he wiped out and was maybe a little embarrassed about the situation. But then he stayed down. You kind of just go into shock. You never want to see a guy helpless there on the ice," a visibly shaken Lipon said Monday after the Moose practised at the MTS Centre. ...

Moose defenceman Brenden Kichton said Monday he "felt sick" at witnessing a player he knows from off-season training go down like that.

"On the bench when they were taking him off and compressing his chest, I felt like throwing up," said Kichton. "When I saw them wheel him out I personally lost it. I had to get undressed quickly and I had to leave." ...

Ondrej Pavelec was on the ice Saturday, set to start in goal for the Moose. ... Pavelec said there was no question the Manitoba-Tucson game had to be postponed after the incident.

"I couldn’t move. I was on the bench and couldn’t move my legs. There was no way we would play the game, that’s for sure," he said. "It was bad. The atmosphere was really bad. There wasn’t much to say in the dressing room. We were all waiting for news, for updates. Everybody was worried about him and his family. You can imagine how it is for his family." ...

Moose coach Pascal Vincent said Monday the team is working with players who may need some assistance in the wake of what they witnessed.

"There’s no way to describe it. You’re not prepared for that. You don’t really know what’s going on and it was very tough. Very difficult for all of us," ...

Read more at: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/manitoba-moose/moose-players-shaken-after-opponent-collapses-nearly-dies-on-ice-402309005.html

Edited by JMC-STL

Hockey: Craig Cunningham's collapse puts hockey, sports in perspective

By Timothy Gassen Special to the Arizona Daily Star

Updated 3 hrs ago (November 26, 2016)

I thought I saw Craig Cunningham die this past Saturday night.

He crumpled to center ice at the Tucson Arena, twitched or convulsed for a moment and then went flat and limp. He was still — too still to be alive, I thought, from my perch in the press box radio broadcast booth.

The on-ice response was immediate. Members of both the Tucson Roadrunners and visiting Manitoba Moose waved frantically to the bench for medical attention. Several members of the pregame Scottish bagpipe and drum band, actually firemen in kilts, rushed to Cunningham’s side.

Cunningham didn’t move. At all. EMTs were cutting his game jersey off of him within another minute or so, furiously pumping on his chest as he was lifted onto a stretcher and rushed off the ice, to the hospital.

The hushed crowd that I’d estimate at about 4,000 stood and gasped. I made a quick run through the upper deck, surveying the crowd and absorbing their reaction of horror.

Back on the air, doing Roadrunners radio with team media chief Tom Callahan, I did my best to remain calm and report the situation as the minutes unfolded with more uncertainty. The game was delayed, then postponed. No concrete medical information was available. Callahan, a veteran hockey man at every professional level, explained on-air that during his career he’s learned a crucial personal lesson: That hockey isn’t more important than life. ...

(After the postponement was announced,) I walked slowly by the locker room to leave the arena and a fan asked if I was all right. I wondered what he meant, then looked at my hands. They were trembling. ...

As of this moment Cunningham is still with us, reportedly touch-and-go at Banner-University Medical Center with his Mother and two brothers at his side. Roadrunners general manager Doug Soetaert described Cunningham’s condition as “critically ill.”

“We don’t know what’s happened, the doctors are trying to find that out. They’re dealing with him as we speak and it’s a changing target every day,” Soetaert said. ...

Read more at: http://tucson.com/sports/roadrunners/hockey-craig-cunningham-s-collapse-puts-hockey-sports-in-perspective/article_904801b0-8c2f-5cd2-a66c-de63cb143cf5.html

Edited by JMC-STL

Craig Cunningham has 'progressed a lot': Milan Lucic

Oilers forward visited former teammate, unconscious since collapsing before AHL game Nov. 19

by Jerry Brown / NHL.com Correspondent

November 25th, 2016

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Friends for a decade and teammates at two stops in their hockey career, Milan Lucic has been seeking constant updates on Craig Cunningham's condition since learning that he collapsed on the ice before an American Hockey League game in Tucson on Nov. 19.

So, with his Edmonton Oilers landing in Phoenix on an off day Thursday before playing the Arizona Coyotes on Friday, Lucic knew where he had to be.

He rented a car and made the two-hour drive to Tucson and spent a few hours with Cunningham in his hospital room at Banner Medical Center, then some more time with Cunningham's family and friends, sharing stories and a few smiles.

Cunningham, 26, remains in critical but stable condition and has not regained consciousness since collapsing before Tucson played Manitoba.

"The good news is he's progressed a lot from the state he was in last weekend," Lucic said. "He's heading in the right direction, but obviously there's a lot more progression and healing to be done. I can't go into [details] too much more than that. ...

Read more at: https://www.nhl.com/news/milan-lucic-says-craig-cunningham-has-progressed-a-lot/c-284088548

Edited by JMC-STL

http://www.thescore.com/news/1170846

Gulls players all wore a #14 helmet decal for the Roadrunners' game at San Diego on Wednesday night, as well as several Gulls fans holding up encouraging posters and signs wishing Cunningham the best during pre-game warm ups. We're all pulling for a full recovery for him.

After collapse, Tucson Roadrunners' Craig Cunningham to leave UMC

Arizona Daily Star

Updated 1 hr ago (December 20, 2016)

... Wednesday, the Roadrunners' 26-year-old captain (Craig Cunningham ) will sit in the front of Kiewit Auditorium at the Arizona Cancer Center and talk about how Tucson doctors saved his life.

Cunningham is "recovering well" after receiving ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) therapy and undergoing a procedure developed Dr. Zain Khalpey, Banner University of Arizona Medical Center officials said Tuesday. Cunningham will be discharged in time for Christmas. ...

Read more at: http://tucson.com/sports/roadrunners/after-collapse-tucson-roadrunners-craig-cunningham-to-leave-umc/article_816bec8a-c6e7-11e6-b9c4-9ba6d8a96e36.html