Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

2017-18 AHL alignment announced

alignment170511-1038x576-1494521464.jpg

2017-18 AHL alignment announced

May 11, 2017

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced that the league’s Board of Governors, convening for its Spring Meeting earlier this week in Chicago, Ill., has approved the following division alignment for the 2017-18 AHL season:

1z3rybd.jpg

The format for the 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs will be finalized by the Board of Governors at its Annual Meeting in Hilton Head Island, S.C., July 2-6, and the complete playing schedule for the 2017-18 regular season, which begins Oct. 6, will be announced this summer. ...

Edited by JMC-STL

Milwaukee loses Charlotte and San Jose from schedule; gains SD Gulls, Bakersfield, Ontario, Tucson and Stockton (the Heat came last year). Hershey and W-B visit.

17 hours ago, adsfan said:

Milwaukee loses Charlotte and San Jose from schedule; gains SD Gulls, Bakersfield, Ontario, Tucson and Stockton (the Heat came last year). Hershey and W-B visit.

I am surprised you didn't play everyone in the west compared to the East who played everyone.

As a Bears fan, I am excited to see Milwaukee, Rockford, Grand Rapids and Charlotte again.

Did I miss a 2017-18 schedule release from the AHL?  You folks seem to be presuming the new divisional alignment will bring play among all teams in a given conference.  I'm thinking all this realignment does is weight any given team's schedule toward its own division members.  The Pacific are quite likely to still be dancing to their own tune of reduced game totals, and they will largely stick with their own kind.

The North seems to offer the most early interest, with the new & relocated teams.  Otherwise, I don't see any balance-of-power shifts with the latest shuffle.

No, you didn't miss anything, but a matrix! When Rochester was in the WC, they rarely played Milwaukee. Charlotte moved to the EC from the Admirals division. Milwaukee has 29 division home games, they are the top 6 teams on the list below.

From the Milwaukee Admirals and the Admirals Roundtable:

The Admirals will continue to play a 76-game, unbalanced schedule which includes 38 home contests at the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena. The Chicago Wolves will be the most common opponent at Panther Arena with six match-ups, while the Ads will host Grand Rapids, Iowa and Rockford each five times.

Milwaukee Admirals Opponent Breakdown:

Chicago Wolves…………6
Grand Rapids Griffins…..5
Iowa Wild……………….5
Rockford IceHogs……….5
Cleveland Monsters…….4
Manitoba Moose………..4
San Antonio Rampage….2
Texas Stars………………2
Hershey Bears…………..1
Ontario Reign…………..1
San Diego Gulls….……..1