Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

AHL BOGs Commit to Expansion in 2018-19

AHL Board of Governors Annual Meeting concludes

July 6, 2017

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League’s Board of Governors has concluded its 2017 Annual Meeting, held this week at Hilton Head Island, S.C. ...

Expansion for 2018-19

• The AHL Board of Governors has made a commitment to an expansion applicant, which will see the AHL expand to 31 teams for the 2018-19 season.

• This commitment assures that all 31 NHL clubs will have a full primary affiliation in the AHL for 2018-19 and beyond.

• The process of concluding related agreements is not yet complete; once those agreements are in place the NHL and AHL clubs involved will jointly announce them. ...

Read more at: http://theahl.com/ahl-board-of-governors-annual-meeting-concludes

I heard that the schedule is coming out next week! It will run Oct 6 to April 15.

The announcement would be a month earlier than usual. Blame the 3 stooges running the Bucks for previous delays and their NBA brethren.

It's wasn't just Milwaukee contributing to the annual AHL schedule delay.  Cleveland & San Antonio also play second fiddle to NBA teams playing in the same arenas.  But I hope you're right about an early schedule release this season, adsfan - I've still got some dates to fill in on my road trip calendar.  :popcorn:

Edited by JMC-STL

I thought the Ads now play in a different arena than the one the Bucks play in.  Aren't they at UW Milwaukee Panther Arena?

R.I.C.H. Yes, the Admirals moved out of the now BMO Harris Bradley Center after the 2015-16 season to the UWM Panther Arena (formerly MECCA and then US Cellular Arena).

The Admirals put up 2 million of the 6 million dollars spent on arena upgrades. They have the nicest locker room that I have ever visited. It has extra heavy duty ventilation so that it doesn't smell like a locker room. It has a small kitchen area/cafeteria for the players pregame meals. It has the usual athletic gear and big screen TV for video replays.

My point was that the Admirals and the AHL no longer had to wait on the NBA schedule and the Bucks. The Ads usually started playing two weeks before the Bucks, but had issues with trying to get Friday and Saturday night games, as the Bucks were the #1 tenant. That has been eliminated, which both speeds and smooths the process.

The Bucks owners had been non-cooperative to the point of refusing to speak to Harris Turer, the Admirals owner, about whether or not the new arena would have an ice plant. He decided to move. The Bradley Center was built with money that came from the previous Admirals owner, Jane Bradley Pettit, so the Ads were kind of pushed out of their own arena.

The home openers for all 30 AHL teams were listed on TheAHL.com website today. Milwaukee hosts Hershey on Oct 20.

4 hours ago, adsfan said:

R.I.C.H. Yes, the Admirals moved out of the now BMO Harris Bradley Center after the 2015-16 season to the UWM Panther Arena (formerly MECCA and then US Cellular Arena).

The Admirals put up 2 million of the 6 million dollars spent on arena upgrades. They have the nicest locker room that I have ever visited. It has extra heavy duty ventilation so that it doesn't smell like a locker room. It has a small kitchen area/cafeteria for the players pregame meals. It has the usual athletic gear and big screen TV for video replays.

My point was that the Admirals and the AHL no longer had to wait on the NBA schedule and the Bucks. The Ads usually started playing two weeks before the Bucks, but had issues with trying to get Friday and Saturday night games, as the Bucks were the #1 tenant. That has been eliminated, which both speeds and smooths the process.

The Bucks owners had been non-cooperative to the point of refusing to speak to Harris Turer, the Admirals owner, about whether or not the new arena would have an ice plant. He decided to move. The Bradley Center was built with money that came from the previous Admirals owner, Jane Bradley Pettit, so the Ads were kind of pushed out of their own arena.

The home openers for all 30 AHL teams were listed on TheAHL.com website today. Milwaukee hosts Hershey on Oct 20.

I saw the 'MECCA', would that happen to be the old place where the Bucks played years ago before they got the new place? I'm an NBA fan, albeit not a huge one but I definitely remember the MECCA in Milwaukee and the Bucks having played there or am I thinking of somewhere completely different?

On 7/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, adsfan said:

... the Admirals moved out of the now BMO Harris Bradley Center after the 2015-16 season to the UWM Panther Arena (formerly MECCA and then US Cellular Arena).

The Admirals put up 2 million of the 6 million dollars spent on arena upgrades. They have the nicest locker room that I have ever visited. It has extra heavy duty ventilation so that it doesn't smell like a locker room. It has a small kitchen area/cafeteria for the players pregame meals. It has the usual athletic gear and big screen TV for video replays. ...

My wife & I can only attest to the public areas of Panther Arena, after our visit for two Admirals games in April.  It's a simple but comfortable arena.  I was most impressed by the new center-hung video boards (very crisp images) & the new lighting system (especially the multi-colored ice surface lighting capability).  MUCH better game-night experience than Bradley Center had come to offer.

Edited by JMC-STL

On 7/11/2017 at 0:12 AM, LehighValleyPhantomsPhan said:

I saw the 'MECCA', would that happen to be the old place where the Bucks played years ago before they got the new place? I'm an NBA fan, albeit not a huge one but I definitely remember the MECCA in Milwaukee and the Bucks having played there or am I thinking of somewhere completely different?

Yes. When I moved to Milwaukee in 1981, the Admirals, Bucks and Marquette University played in MECCA (Milwaukee Exhibition Convention Center and Arena). The Bucks won the 1971 NBA title in MECCA, which seated just over 11,000 for basketball.

The Bradley Center opened Oct 1, 1988 with the Wayne Gretzkyless Oilers versus the BlackHawks in an exhibition game. I still have the souvenir card that they gave out that night.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, JMC-STL said:

My wife & I can only attest to the public areas of Panther Arena, after our visit for two Admirals games in April.  It's a simple but comfortable arena.  I was most impressed by the new center-hung video boards (very crisp images) & the new lighting system (especially the multi-colored ice surface lightning capability).  MUCH better game-night experience than Bradley Center had come to offer.

The public areas of the arena are nicer than they were in 1981 or 1987. The seats have all been replaced, the downstairs lounge is nice, they have bands down there sometimes.

The concourse is a little narrow, but that is a 1950 design. Since there are streets around the arena on three sides and another building on the fourth, you really can't change that!

The arena in Rochester is similar in the original portion, but Milwaukee doesn't have a stage at one end. The Panther Arena is cozy and loud.