Sign in to follow this  

AHL Allowing Players on Minor League Deals to Go to Olympics

President and CEO David Andrews confirmed through a league spokesman Wednesday that teams were informed they could loan players on AHL contracts to national teams for the purposes of participating in the Pyeongchang Olympics.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/07/19/sports/ap-hko-ahl-olympics.html?smid=tw-share

I'm surprised the NHL and it's teams aren't making exemptions for younger players who won't get called up by the big club during the Olympics to go play, thinking it's better development for a few weeks of international play.

Maybe we will see Mike Fisher at the Olympics for Canada, or maybe the US, since he hasn't played internationally as far as I can tell. 

Since he is now "retired" from the NHL, he can do what he wants in 6 months.

On 7/24/2017 at 0:56 PM, Section109 said:

I'm surprised the NHL and it's teams aren't making exemptions for younger players who won't get called up by the big club during the Olympics to go play, thinking it's better development for a few weeks of international play.

The guys on AHL only contracts can play in the Olympics. The Milwaukee Admirals signed several players last year, since they could not get much help from Cincinnati! Some of those guys may end up in Norfolk this season, plus a few in Milwaukee. Three of those players came from Manchester.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, adsfan said:

Maybe we will see Mike Fisher at the Olympics for Canada, or maybe the US, since he hasn't played internationally as far as I can tell. 

Since he is now "retired" from the NHL, he can do what he wants in 6 months.

He played for Canada in the '05 and '09 World Championships. If he became a US citizen prior to February of 2014 and got an IIHF international transfer card at that time he would be eligible to play for the US.